Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok
im broiling some chicken breast trying to make broth..(but for some reason mine never has any flavor

anyways all i have is some lazanga noodles how do you think they would turn out in the soup..if i broke them in to short strips?

and if you have any ideas on how to flavor up my broth im listening

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I think they would work fine. I have used the leftover broken cooked lasagna noodles for "spaghetti" before. I had a handful leftover, enough for a meal for one person, and hated to throw them away (pre-frugal days, it was coming though). I just tossed the leftover sauce on them and ate them for lunch the next day.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'm sure the lasagna noodles would be fine.

I make chicken soup a lot and even though I add carrots, celery and onions plus garlic and parsley, it still doesn't seem to have enough flavor. I always add some chicken soup base. It's different than boullion cubes. I like it much better. I just add a bit of that and I'm good to go! HTH

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have been told that chicken thighs with bone in make the best chicken broth.

Andrea

·
Registered
405 Posts
Garlic powder, onions ( dehydrated or fresh), sage, salt and pepper. Add sliced carrots, diced celery and noodles.
I think your lasagna noodles will be just fine.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I just made some chicken stock today.

I roasted a chicken yesterday because I needed cooked chicken meat for a dish I was making. The secret to flavorful broth is to use the entire carcass and leave some meat on the bones. I also break up my carcass so some of the marrow (very flavorful) is exposed.

Today, I sliced up an onion and placed on the bottom of my crockpot. I threw all of my bones on top of the onions and added a bay leaf. I covered the bones with water and set my crockpot to high. I turned it to low after about an hour and let it simmer all day. When I got home this evening my stock looked golden and gorgeous. I strained it twice and its now cooling in the fridge. I'll peel off the top layer of fat in the morning and I'm makin' chicken n dumplings for dinnner tomorrow.

And yes, I think the lasagna noodles will work fine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The easiest most flavorful stock can be made in your crockpot. You need to either use a chicken carcass, or some pieces with some good bones in them.

Throw the chicken pieces of carcass into the crockpot. Add a large carrot, celery and an onion. They only need to be in big pieces. Then add a bay leaf and a few peppercorns. Fill with water and put on low overnight. In the am strain off the solids and add salt to taste. It really comes out perfect every time.

·
4,028 Posts
Broth is from meat and stock is from bones. Vegetable "stock" does not exist, it is a broth. - (Dang, I love Alton Brown!)

I take the carcass from my chicken and make a pot of stock to freeze every time I have a whole chicken. When I bought rotisserie chickens I would do the same. If I wanted to debone a bunch of thights, I would freeze the bones until I had to make more stock. To me, chicken stock is indespensible. I probably have about 5 quarts in the freezer most of the time and use it for making soups and pastas.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
ok
im broiling some chicken breast trying to make broth..(but for some reason mine never has any flavor

anyways all i have is some lazanga noodles how do you think they would turn out in the soup..if i broke them in to short strips?

and if you have any ideas on how to flavor up my broth im listening
If your doing a chicken noodle type recipe, you need some onions, carrots and celery added to the pot.

Along with some seasoning:
salt (you'll have to use more than you think 'causet it's gonna soak it up)
pepper (same as above)
garlic powder
even some poultry seasoning adds alot of flavor.

As for the lasagna noodles? Yep, it's just like adding any other type of pasta, I wouldn't even attempt to cut them up, I would break them into the soup, nothing fancy.

Soup sounds sooo good! Mmmmm, mmmm, mmmm!
Let us know how it turns out, k?:flowers:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Broth is from meat and stock is from bones. Vegetable "stock" does not exist, it is a broth. - (Dang, I love Alton Brown!)
Yep, you need bones for good stock. I'd add bouillon or base, onions, celery, carrots. As for the noodles, they'll be fine. Tell everyone they are flat dumplings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts