Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have some new members, and I'd like to know how many are quilters.:)

I think it would be fun to answer some get-to-know-you questions too:

How long have you been quilting?

What skill level do you consider yourself?

What is your favorite type of quilting/design (applique, piecing, paper piecing, etc)?

How did you become interested in quilting?

How many UFO's (unfinished objects) do you currently have?

What are you working on now?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My replies:

How long have you been quilting? Off and on for 3 or 4 yrs. I stopped quilting for a while and took up garment sewing (mostly for my kids). I am going to get back into quilting soon.

What skill level do you consider yourself? Beginner

What is your favorite type of quilting/design (applique, piecing, paper piecing, etc)? I don't really care for applique (like the look of it but don't really like to do it). I've only done one thing in paper piecing, and I enjoyed it. I would have to say at this point I liked it better than "regular" piecing, but that could change once I've taken on more projects.

How did you become interested in quilting? My mother has been an avid quilter for about 20 yrs now. I was walking around a quilt store with her, and I fell in love with the fabric. I've been hooked on fabric ever since! :)

How many UFO's (unfinished objects) do you currently have? Umm, let's see...only 3, but one of them has been in the works for a few years. I am hating it, so it's taking longer to do because of that.

What are you working on now? Teaching myself how to stipple (or meander) quilt on a simple wallhanging for my brother. It's a mountain biking print, and I didn't want to break it up, so I just did a yard of that backed in black (one of his favorite colors), and once I learn how to stipple, will finish it. I am hoping to do it befor July--which seems like a long time for such a simple project, but believe me, sometimes it takes *forever* for me to finish things; especially when I get frustrated and put it aside.

·
8,714 Posts
***9 years***

***I do pretty well. I've been hand-sewing and machine sewing for 15 years so learning quilting wasn't difficult. I'm not too good at design, mixing fabric colors and patterns, or machine quilting yet.***

What is your favorite type of quilting/design (applique, piecing, paper piecing, etc)?
***So far I've done piecing and applique. I like the look of a pieced quilt more.***

***Old movies and books. A new church I was going to had a group so I joined and learned!***

***ACK! We have to tell THAT?!hehe! Lets see, there's my sister's twin quilt/coverlet and my denim/twill circle quilt, and I want to start quilts for my kids. Eeeps.***

***The twill circle quilt. I'm recycling 6 pairs of DH's khaki shorts for buttons, zippers and circles.***

·
Registered
392 Posts
How long have you been quilting? over 20 years

What skill level do you consider yourself? so/so

What is your favorite type of quilting/design (applique, piecing, paper piecing, etc)?piecing

How did you become interested in quilting? my mom always quilted.

How many UFO's (unfinished objects) do you currently have? three, two baby quilts and a gingerbreadman quilt.

What are you working on now?quilted purses for christmas gifts.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
How long have you been quilting? Actual time -- over 20 years, but I've not made a lot of quilts, mostly small items.

What skill level do you consider yourself? advanced beginner maybe

What is your favorite type of quilting/design (applique, piecing, paper piecing, etc)? I love applique, but tend to do more piecing. I don't like paper piecing.

How did you become interested in quilting? I used to sit and watch my grandma make quilts -- all by hand. I loved how she'd take rags, and make something beautiful.

How many UFO's (unfinished objects) do you currently have? Only two - one blue jean circle quilt and one wedding quilt.

What are you working on now? The wedding quilt-- it's a whole quilt, no piecing, no applique. .. the design is all done by the stitches. . . White on White, all hand stitched.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Oh, Sunshine! That sound's wonderful! I aspire to do one in the future.
- - - - -
How long have you been quilting? A bit over 10 years.

What skill level do you consider yourself? Intermediate. I can piece curved seams and hand applique.

What is your favorite type of quilting/design (applique, piecing, paper piecing, etc)? I like traditional quilts, both patchwork and applique. I've never tried paper piecing; it doesn't appeal to me.

How did you become interested in quilting? Like a true Frugalist, I loved the look of old quilts, but didn't want to pay for them! LOL!

How many UFO's (unfinished objects) do you currently have? In quilts, only two. Now if we counted other sewing UFO's...

What are you working on now? On this page: http://hartcottagequilts.com/his6.htm, in the photo captioned: "The Autumn Leaf quilt exhibited at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair - Anne Orr's design", the middle quilt. The pink one at the top of the page is an adaptation, but the vines and leaves look the same. I am doing solid colored bands in the porportions shown on the Anne Orr quilt. My solid is purple. It's queen-sized, for my bed. The quilt has 634 leaves in it and ... gosh I can't remember, I think it's 100 different fabrics. Some scraps of fabric only produced 2 leaves. The most I did from any one fabric was 13 leaves. I'm doing hand applique and hand quilting.

This http://kansas.mccsale.org/old2003/quilts/item0173.html is similar to my last quilt, which I machine pieced and hand quilted. The one I made doesn't have so much white between the colored blocks and the colored triangle border, and is twin-sized. It was for my youger daughter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just thought I would join in....

Not for very long, I am just teaching myself as I go along. I only do small wall hangings/little tiny quilts. I have never made anything large.

What skill level do you consider yourself? Absolutely a total beginner.

What is your favorite type of quilting/design (applique, piecing, paper piecing, etc)? I love applique, especially needleturn. I have not tried hand piecing yet, only machine.

How did you become interested in quilting? I love sewing and crafting, and finally decided to jump in and just give patchwork/quilting a go.

How many UFO's (unfinished objects) do you currently have? A table runner with a primitive Christmas theme.

What are you working on now? An appliqued lap quilt for my oldest daughter, and helping my sister with a very simple quilt project she hasnt been able to start herself.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
OK, here are my answers.

Just a couple of years.

A beginner, I haven't done very many projects, although I have LOTS of fabric!

I've only done machine piecing, I want to learn how to applique and to paper piece.
One day I decided I wanted to quilt, so I went and bought a machine and just started!!

Only a couple.

I'm working on a quilt for my own bed. It is the Turning Twenty Again pattern.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
How long have you been quilting? off and on for over 30 years

What skill level do you consider yourself? intermediate

What is your favorite type of quilting/design (applique, piecing, paper piecing, etc)? only done machine applique a few times, not very good at it; never done paper piecing-too intimidating to me; always done piecing work

How did you become interested in quilting? my mother, she use to make quilts to sell for extra income.

How many UFO's (unfinished objects) do you currently have? too many to count! LOL! I can make the tops, just don't ever get most of them quilted!

What are you working on now? A one day mystery quilt at planet patchwork called snow business

·
Registered
217 Posts
As long as I've been married....13 years. I always sewed clothes, curtains, etc and once I got married and moved to the farm I got really bored, found a class and the rest is history!
What skill level?
Hmmm.....I would say I go through different things, I get bored easily. I started out with regular piecing, patchwork, etc. Elenor Burns stuff. Then I got into paper piecing for a long time. I love applique and I can thank my mom for that skill. Lately I've been really lazy turning out a LOT of rag time quilts, frayed flannel is pretty easy. Intermediate I guess.
Favorite type of quilting? Right now its the rag time pattern. They are so easy and quick and my 7 year old got her first sewing machine from Santa and she made her first one! I LOVE penny rugs right now and can't get enough of applique with the botton stitch!
My mom has always sewed and taught me how to sew. Once I moved to the farm I was sew bored and craved outside contact. I found a quilting class and persuaded my sister-in-law to come with me. I met my best friend there when she pulled her first EVER sewing machine out of the box in the class and asked me to show her how to thread it!!!!!!! I still shake my head about that!
How many UFOs do you have?
There is no possible way for me to answer this so I'll just say lots!!!! Lets put it this way, I would never have to see the inside of a quilt shop for a VERY long time and it wouldn't affect my ability to create.
What am I working on?
Several things.....a skating dress for my daughter, 2 table runners that are fall/harvest themed, and without a doubt I have got to get 2 wallhangings finished. They are all done and put together I just need to finish up some of the machine quilting and then bind. Oh ya, I forgot to say that I custom quilt other peoples quilts for them, mostly smaller stuff, twin size, lap quilts, wall hangings and table runners!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
How long have you been quilting? I don't know??? LOL I made one about 10 yrs. or so ago then stopped and started back up about 3-4 yrs. ago.

What skill level do you consider yourself? Intermediate

What is your favorite type of quilting/design (applique, piecing, paper piecing, etc)?Just recently have done a bit of applique, much easier with my new machine. I tried paper piecing once and I don't have the patience for that. LOL So mainly I do machine piecing.

How did you become interested in quilting?Been sewing for years garments and home decor stuff. I just love putting fabrics together and creating something new!

How many UFO's (unfinished objects) do you currently have? Only 2 (Thought you'd get me with that ?? huh Chelle! :D Just don't ask how many sewing UFO's I have! :laugh: )

What are you working on now? Yesterday I starting putting blocks together for an Irish Chain quilt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
27 years

I teach at community and senior centers in my spare time and when I can

Pieced hand and machine

An article and pic in McCalls Needlework magazine dated 1976 - I still have the magazine pic but never made the quilt - It was a trip around the world

There are no UFO's just works in different stages of progress

Moda's Chocolate - I have two rows up on design wall

·
Registered
3,298 Posts

Since the early 80s.

Not an expert but not a novice either.

Love all kinds of quilting. Hard to pick a favorite.

I have always admired the worn out quilts my grandmothers did and I wanted to make them too. When I was older I took a class to learn to make them.

Currently three bigger size quilts and a couple of smaller projects.

I need to put the binding on my Nashville quilt. I also have a charity kids quilt that I need to quilt. My other UFOs are 30s sampler that needs a border and my Dear Jane that needs the tris done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts