Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Road to Avonlea with the kids the other night and the ladies of the town were having a quilting bee.......everyone got together, they had a nice light lunch and then quilted away, children gently playing and some under the quilt! I wonder what they talked about...do you think the same as we would today?? Our children, homemaking, crafts?????

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Heather, great question, I've often thought of this.

I think they probably talked about canning, about whether their crops and gardens would grow, who was going to have the next baby and probably about the long winters and how they survived it. They might have talked about the droughts they were having, about the grasshoppes that always were there it seemed.

They also might have talked about the new stove Sally down the road got, or about the new sewing machine that had just been invented.

They might have talked about the difficulty one neighbour might have had delivering their baby, possibly even the death of the mom. They probably talked about someone having consumption and whether they'd pull through.

What would we talk about if we had a quilting bee? We'd probably talk about the new fabric we seen at the quilting store, the tv program we watched the other night, the new car our neighbours purchased, the neighbour who went to work. We'd probably talk the new KA we just purchased, about the preemie baby born just yesterday and doing fine with all the medicine we now have. We'd talk about lay-offs, about the weather, about our gardens.

Not a whole lot different and yet when you look at it, so much progress!!!!!

btw - Road to Avonlea is one of our favorite shows to watch!!! We are always getting the videos from the library.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are right, not much has changed in what we talk about but wow, the progress!! I would have loved to have been that little girl under the table listening away!! And can you imagine the excitement of actually getting to be old enough to help the women quilt!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts