Frugal Village Forums banner

Quilting: Can you recommend a book

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dcompton 
#1 ·
I did some quilting years ago, and I want to take it up again. At that time, I pieced the quilt top on the machine, and hand quilted it. Unfortunately, the increasing arthritis in my thumbs is going to make hand quilting a rather painful proposition at some point down the road, so I really want to learn to machine quilt.

Could you quilters at the village give me some recommendations for books that would show me the techniques to begin machine quilting and also serve as an on-going reference? (Ok, maybe that would have to be 2 books!) Eventually I may be able to take some quilting classes, but that's not a option right now, so finding a good how-to book would be great.

#3 ·
Hi Donna

My favorite machine quilting book is by Harriet Hargrave, Heirloom Machine Quilting. Its in the fourth edition now. It is a nice spiral bound book to lay flat while you work through it. If you are on Joanns mailing list, use a 40% off coupon or check it out of the library.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I have the Heriloom Machine Quilting book and it is good. However I found it a little to intense for a beginner. I have the Rodale book Easy Machine Quilting and found it much more beginner friendly.

#6 · (Edited)
Hi, I am a Quilter. Just love it.

My advice is first of all, try everything. I heard about paper piecing years and years ago and thought, not for me. Tried it oh, 4 years ago or so and loved it! I'm making a 4th of July quilt now with paper pieced stars. It's almost impossible it match up and y seams up the kazoo. If I had tried to quilt it the other way I would be in tears and probably have thrown the thing out by now.

Anyway, my point try all the new or different techniques. Just make one block or sample and go on.

Second suggestion - There are so many great books out there. Too many to name. Do you have a local library in your area? Check out some quilting books.

If I could give you 1 title it would be - Nancy Zieman, 10-20-30 Minutes to Quilt.
Zieman has great pictures and easy explanations for the beginning quilter. She also touches on many techniques.

Better yet, got to the library and check it out like I did before I bought it.

PwM

Keep your first pieces - put them away - then check back in a few years you will see just how far you have come. Enjoy!

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking at some in the library, but until you really work with a book, it's hard to evaluate it -- that's why I turned to the experienced folk! I'll check some of these titles and see which seems to work best for me. Once I find one, I'm sure I'll want to own it though -- and not have to keep monopolizing a library copy! I'm a great fan of Amazon used books. I've gotten some really great deals there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.