Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a beginning sewer/quilter and would love to make a rag quilt for my daughter. The size I would like to make is a 54x99 cot/couch quilt. I would like to use the 4 patch design using 6" Blocks. Could someone check my math that means a total of 208 squares and if I am wrong could you explain to me how to figure exactly how many squares I will need. I want to use a 1"seam allowance how do I add that on to the squares. I am sorry for so many questions, but I am a very very new to sewing and quilting.

Beverly

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Do you mean you want

-- the four patch block (the whole thing) to be 6", which would make the individual parts of the 4-patch 3"?

--or the 4-patch to be made of 4 blocks that are all six inches, making the whole patch 12"?

And do you want the 1" rag seam allowance to be around each individual component of the 4-patch, or just around the outside of the 4-patch unit, with ordinary seams joining the components of the patch to each other? That will determine the size you need to cut your blocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking each square three inches to make the whole block 6 inches, but I wasn't really sure about the seam allowance. I have seen instructions and they said to use 1/2"-1" seams but I wasn't sure. It may be easier for me to Just make a larger block instead of the four patch and use 1 inch seams around. I am such a beginner with very little sewing experience but these look much more forgiving than a regular quilt.

Beverly

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
That would be simpler, for sure. You divide the length and width by the size of the block:

54/6 = 9
99/6 = 16.5 (oops!) -- make it a little shorter or longer, 16 or 17 blocks

Multiply these two numbers:
9 x 16 = 144 blocks, or
9 x 17 = 153 blocks

For a 1" the seam allowance, you should add 1" to each side, cutting the blocks 8" square. Or for a 1/2" seam allowance, they would be 7" squares.

I've never made a rag quilt, but they look like fun. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Woah! I'm copying and saving all of this. I have fabric that I've been meaning to make a quilt out of but my laziness and dislike for math has prevented it.

You've taken care of that for me. =D

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I make rag quilts, I make them with three layers of flannel; a front and back with the same fabric, and a middle with a solid contrasting color. When you 'fray' your edges, the middle color stands out for a nice touch. So, when planning my quilts I multiply the squares by three.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi gals!

Could someone explain to me what a rag quilt is? :smhelp:

I am also a total beginner to both sewing and quilting.

The farthest I've gotten is to cut some squares out [4" ones] but am deciding already that doing that is not gonna be my favorite part of quilting. :lol:

Love,

Jennelle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts