Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you a weather watcher? What tools do use to gather your information? Do you keep track?

We have a rain gauge that we have mounted on our garden fence placed where there is no overhang so we can get accurate readings. It's a plastic, cone shaped & is manually read. We use it most of the year except when it's freezing and record all rainfall. We do keep a record of rainfall on our fridge, it's neat but sometimes disheartening to see just how much we are or are not getting.
We have a couple digital thermometers that we look at often daily, but always first thing so we have our finger on the pulse of our world, lol. During cold weather hubby can't resist checking the temp if he's up in the middle of the night, lol.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Hehehe - I bought dad a digital temperature reader for $2 at a junky store. Its the BEST gift ever! We both use it to see what the temp is several times/day but it fails to tell us if its a cold or warm wind and humidity.

Maybe this year I'll look for one that does all of that for us as well.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a nice one Russ, vroom vroom. Isn't it you who has a wind gauge?
I'd like one (wind gauge) but they aren't very practical the way we are situated down in the creek(river) valley.

How nice to have a friend who's a weather geek, I say that with the utmost respect. We get excited over big weather changes too but hate the way regular news blows things all out of proportion with what we call "Bee boo bee boo storm of the century" hoopla over everything. ;)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
My wheelbarrow left out in the open is my rain gauge. I know from experience whether a particular rainfall was beneficial or not, by the amount of water collected.

I do have a long probe metal thermometer to ascertain the ground temperature in the garden, and sometimes used in pots for seedlings. There is a dial thermometer outside the kitchen window to determine the temperature in the Winter mostly.

Wind, I pay no attention.

Barometer I don't use, but listen to the weather or scan the sky.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a full weather station: temperature, humidity, barometer, rainfall, wind, sunlight, UV Index, and, just for fun, the depth of the water in my well. It's all connected to the computer, which takes continuous readings and records them.

I write a regular weather column in the monthly community paper, so I have a responsibility to have accurate and detailed local records. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

My weather data

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Have none of the above..........I need a rain gauge.

Have had a couple 'cheapies' in the past and either broke them or they froze!

I have a 'weather stick' that someone gave me......does that count? It is on a post in the back yard.......when it is going to rain the stick turns up.....:laugh:....

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
We just have a thermometer outside. Our rain gauge is our pond level. :D I love the weather and especially big storms. So much fun!

Reactions: Darlene

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Reactions: Darlene

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a full weather station: temperature, humidity, barometer, rainfall, wind, sunlight, UV Index, and, just for fun, the depth of the water in my well. It's all connected to the computer, which takes continuous readings and records them.

I write a regular weather column in the monthly community paper, so I have a responsibility to have accurate and detailed local records. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

My weather data
Too cool Keith, thanks for sharing. Got yourself a piece of paradise living where you do.

Reactions: KeithBC
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.