Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys use for flea control?

Dave wanted me to get flea collars for our animals yesterday, so I did. As I was opening the packages I noticed that they said to keep away from children. Well Tyler plays with and pets these guys all day long... he leads Rocky around by his collar. I put them on last night and then took them off this morning. I just didn't feel comfortable having Tyler exposed to them.
Also the kitten got hers stuck in her mouth last night while trying to get it off and was yelling and flipping out. I got sliced by her claw getting it off of her. She seems ok today, but were worried she had ingested some of the stuff.
I am just not impressed. In the past I have always used the type of stuff that you squirt on their backs and it is absorbed into the system. I am going to get some of that if we must use flea stuff. At least then I just have to make sure Tyler doesn't mess with them till its absorbed.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I agree with you Sherry, I have NEVER used them. I have used Frontline or the other one before.

Just apply it to your critters after Tyler goes to bed for the night, that way it will have plenty of time to absorb before he plays with them again.

***Edited***

I have to say, I didn't keep a collar on my dog Peachie when she was in the house. I know I wouldn't want to sleep with a buckle poking ME in the neck. :(

We kept her collar attached to her rope. We had to hook her up anyway to let her out. She had a 25 foot rope and one end was attached to the back porch.

All my cats are inside so no collars on them either.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I don't like the flea collars either. I've heard they aren't safe.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I use them, we have no problem. We just have one dog, beagle. My kids are 3,5,8 and I just tell them not to touch the collar. Works for us.:)

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
We use Frontline Topspot on all 3 of our dogs (for over 5 years now) and are very pleased with it. It provides protection against both fleas and ticks.

Just some info - http://www.pestproducts.com/frontlinedogs.htm

We purchase ours (in a pack of six) from our vet's office.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
we have used frontline and things like frontline. the dogs and cats just loose their collars!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! Glad I'm not alone. :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm allergic to whatever is in those collars, so I stay well away from them!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Our vet told us that some animals react to the potent stuff on flea collars- they get a skin problem and lose all the hair underneath the collar area. :(

Our cats all stay indoors, but we got fleas two years ago- finally figured out they must have come in through the screens on the back sunporch. :mad: We now use the liquid you put on their backs- a brand we get through the vet.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I use Sentinnel (combo flea/heartworm)) for the dog. The cats stay in and I don't use anything for them. We haven't had a flea problem since we got the dog 5 years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts