Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.frugalvillage.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=171&papass=&sort=1&thecat=

ok, look at this bush! At first the old lady said do whatever you want to it. Then yesterday she said just trim it a tiny bit. Excuse me, but 3/4 of it is on my property and it's an eyesore and a half.
Any suggestions. I am so frustrated. I had planned to completely cut it out and do something beautiful in it's place, but now am not sur ehow to handle this. I am allowed to do what I want with what is touching my property right?

edited to add, initially I thought it was our bush. :(

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You can cut down, dig out ect. any part on your property. But the inside of the bush might be uglier than the outside. An you might make an enemy of that neighbor.
If you have plans for that spot maybe you can convince your neighbor to get rid of the bush altogether. And you will help with part of it, or whatever you are willing to do.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Sara, before I do any major cutting or trimming, I would find out what your by-laws state for your city or State. In our province, you can cut anything that is on your side of your property BUT you must have an agreement with your neighbour first.

It would be so much easier if you didn't make enemies with your neighbours. Sometimes they can get downright nasty. Maybe if she knew exactly what you wanted to do with it and that you were willing to do it at your own cost, she may be more agreeable.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had talked about what I was planning and all was fine then suddenly she decides she likes the bush the way it is, but that I could trim it a little bit if I wanted to. It's so darn ugly, I honestly don't know why she would want to keep it. Possibly privacy, BUT all the other yards throughout the street are open without huge trees or bushes. (example her yard that joins with her other neighbor is completely open with like three trees lining the property line.)

I don't want to stare at that bush. :( I wouldn't mind seeing the hollowed out inside compared to that. (note in the picture her gigantic half dead tree too) In fact, I am starting to have fantasies of adding some gasoline to the bush every so often. LMAO
Will call the city and see their policy on trimming. I'm not too concerned with her hating me. I believe being neighborly works both ways.
Can ya feel my frustration? :( It is her bush, so I realize I should just get over it.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Sara, as far as I know you have the right to take care of it how you wish as long as you do not kill the part on her property (unless of course you can make it undetectable:toothy: )
Personally, she will still see whats on her side so I would cut it back to the fence.Then put up a trellis (to hide the skelleton) and plant a climing rose or other vine so you do not have to see it, and hopefully it will cover the dying tree too!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
if you don't know already, you might want to have someone put to draw the property line for you as well. it could end up that the ugly thing is on your property after all.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if it ends up on both your propery and she says do whatever I would get her to sign something that says that so down the road she can't come back and say "I never told you" and she gets a silly idea to sue you over it......
My mother-in-law was here yesterday and that lady is sue crazy so that is why I would be careful there are a lot of people who are sue crazy...

Eileen

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm with you- I don't see how anyone would like to be looking at that every day of their life. It's not like it's there for any landscaping purposes (focal point, privacy hedge)- it's just there. I bet she's just doing it to be a pain in the butt- since it seems that's all neighbors are good for. I'd chop that thing at the property line and put up an 8' stockade fence to hide the rest.

Laura

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought something similar like covering it with some sort of fencing/trellis. I could plant against the fencing and not stare at that thing. I will have to read on the guidlelines on height of fences here. It's definitely so ugly though.
I did trim it back, but it doesn't even look touched at all. (that's how overgrown it is) She did say I could trim it a bit. I suppose I could make it the dog's new pee area. LMAO. Thinking of some evil ways to get that bush to die. Add a little lightening rod? LOL

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
LOL! :laugh: Good idea, Sara, make the pee corner your dog!....sneaky, but the bush may die someday...;)

Good luck with your neighbour and the bush...I would hate to have problems with a neighbour...I've had some before, but not for a bush, it was about our shed in our backyard, at our old house. When the neighbour came yelling at me...(me who is always so nice to everyone.) We put our house for sale and moved. We had been there not even a year...I tell you...I hate fighting...Now we have no major problems in the last 10 years in this home...phew...:)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We aren't fighting and I am not mad and neither is she. It's her bush and my eyesore. LOL I think I will keep pointing out security reasons not to have tall bushes people can hide behind though. ;)

Outside of our differences on this bush~she's a very nice person from what I can gather so far.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not everyone's definition of "a bit" is the same. ;)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Well, I'm glad your neighbour is a nice lady.:) Security is a very good reason. Someone could hide behind those, you're right. Maybe she'll accept this and you'll be able to remove the bush.:) I hope so for you. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts