Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading "The Shack" and my mind is reeling. This is a book that I'm going to ponder for a long time.

I was so intrigued by it that I read it straight thru yesterday in about 5 hours.

I was wondering if any of you have read it, and if so, what did you think?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I almost bought it yesterday at Target, but got "The Last Lecture" instead. I think that may be the next one I read. Do you recommend it?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read parts of "The Last Lecture". Very moving!

Do I recommend "The Shack"? Yes and no. If you are looking for a new and fresh way of considering who God is, yes. If you are looking for something that explains in an odd way the relationship between God and man, and how that affects all of man's relationships, yes. If you are looking for a story plot with all sorts of twists and turns, yes. If you are looking for a good old-fashioned 5-kleenex cry, yes. But if you are looking for something that is squeeky clean in the language, no. It's not bad, but not squeeky clean.

I tend to be someone who loves intellectual challenges and things that make me think and ponder and reflect. I like things that challenge my stereotypes and status-quo thinking, and this book did just that.

I'd say give it a try. It gets really weird part way through, but don't let that stop you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
One of my customers has recommended this to me, she said it totally changed the way she "sees" Jesus (or God, however you might look at it......)She couldn't tell me much without revealing it.....did you feel it was "life changing"????

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sounds really intriguing... I'll have to look for it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
One of my customers has recommended this to me, she said it totally changed the way she "sees" Jesus (or God, however you might look at it......)She couldn't tell me much without revealing it.....did you feel it was "life changing"????
I didn't feel that The Shack was life-changing. It was very thought-provoking. It reinforced the idea that to be forgiven, we must forgive. The story stayed with me for a long time. I recommend it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for recommending The Shack, it sounds intriguing, I'll add it to my library loan request list

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm pretty grounded in my faith, so no, it wasn't life changing for me. For one who is doing some seeking in faith, it certainly could be life changing.

I also see why some churches are up in arms about it. My church has never said anything one way or the other. But there a few times that I thought the representation of God was in poor taste. I chose to overlook that, and continue with the truths that I found there.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I just finished the Shack. Several people in my sunday school class have just finished or are reading it too.

The part that made me think about the economy and the boards here at FV was

When -I think it- was Papa ( God) told Mack that everyone is busy making preparations and contingency plans as if He (God) was not going to be there ( in the future).

This comforted me and made me realize in my fear of the economy and the future I was acting like God was going to be there.

When I remembered he was going to being the future also -as well as our past and present- it comforted me and made me not nearly quite and scared about the future.

Reminded me of a quote "I might not know the future, but I know who holds the future"

Reactions: lovestoread

·
Registered
493 Posts
I read it a few months back, I enjoyed it and highly recommend it as well.

I think it's a good read, very easy to follow and I found great comfort in the pages of the book. It put things in perspective for me.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I just finished the Shack. Several people in my Sunday School class have just finished or are reading it too.

The part that made me think about the economy and Frugal Village was

When -I think it- was Papa (God) told Mack that everyone is busy making preparations and contingency plans as if He (God) was not going to be there (in the future).

This comforted me and made me realize in my fear of the economy and the future I was acting like God wasn't going to be there.

When I remembered he was going to be in the future also -as well as our past and present- it comforted me and made me not nearly quite as scared about the future.

Reminded me of a quote "I might not know the future, but I know who holds the future"
Oh my, so many typos and grammar mistakes. I must have been in a hurry. I'm sorry.

The edit button was already gone so I corrected it in the quote

My apologies

·
Registered
945 Posts
I loved The Shack. I found it thought provoking and it reinforced some of the things I am coming to know and understand through my own Bible study... the author was able to express some of the thoughts and ideas I was having difficulty putting into words.

Another book I just read that has a similar appeal is Eli by Bill Myers. It also tells the story of Jesus in a contemporary setting and helps bring greater understanding to how the Bible is still relevant in a modern society. Both are very easy reads and thought provoking.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I picked this book up in the Houston Airport in January and it's been setting on my nightstand waiting to be read. I'm thinking this is a good weekend to read it--weatherman said 100% chance of rain all weekend.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My mother just finished it, now my aunt is reading it.

My mother's ARISE group is reading it now. ARISE is some sort of Catholic enrichment group my mother participates in during Advent and Lent.

Now you all have me curious, I'll have to borrow the book from my aunt when she is done.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have been looking for something to read. I will have to check this one out. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I read it and didn't like it. I couldn't get over the misrepresentation of the Trinity for one. I have other issues with it that I posted in the Book Club Challenge thread. I did like the fact it emphasized relationship with Jesus.

Jean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts