Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Wisconsin! I'm a middle-aged, and I have a mountainous student loan debt that has been burdening me. I'm ready to commit to a frugal lifestyle in order to get rid of it. I've joined a couple of frugality groups on Facebook, but I want to get away from it because of all the tempting targeted ads. I've liked to think that I'm immune to advertising, but last year, I bought three things because I saw them on Facebook, including a permaculture course that I have yet to complete! So I humbly have to admit that I sometimes have a problem with impulse spending.

I live with my adult son, who has disabilities but pays half the living expenses, and an elderly cat Tabitha, who is living her final years as the queen that she is. We have a comfortable and affordable apartment, but I would like to travel after my Tabitha is gone. Hopefully not for a few more years. I'm interested in a nomadic lifestyle sometime in the future.

I had been interested in getting a house in a country and practicing permaculture, but after a test run with a family property in Michigan, I realized that I didn't like being tied down to one location, and besides, I'm not a very attentive gardener. So I moved back to Appleton, where I had lived previously, and I'm trying to live a simple lifestyle as my authentic self.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome! I have relatives near Appleton WI if that's where you are. Beautiful country.
I agree with the permaculture or any gardening tying you down.
Thank you! I have no ties to Appleton by family. I just got talked into moving here by a friend, and it's a pleasant place to live.
I really like the idea of growing my own food, but I don't have the passion for it. However, once the food is harvested and in my kitchen, I love cooking and preserving it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stacy: I trade labor for meat with a friend. You may be able to trade processing/cooking with an avid gardener who doesn't like the post harvest duties. Also gives you time to get a garden going while you learn local growing conditions.
I need to get to know some people in the community. You never know. Being in an apartment, I have a little patio out front I have put some planters on next year. But I may look around and see if there are an community gardens where I can rent a plot.

·
Registered
551 Posts
A friend in Boise worked with an elderly neighbor who had a garden they couldn't keep up with. My friend did the gardening and shared the produce. He got use of an eatablished plot with good soul that way. The neighbor was a little way down the street but walkable. And owned all the tools already so that helped too

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi from Wisconsin! I'm a middle-aged, and I have a mountainous student loan debt that has been burdening me. I'm ready to commit to a frugal lifestyle in order to get rid of it. I've joined a couple of frugality groups on Facebook, but I want to get away from it because of all the tempting targeted ads. I've liked to think that I'm immune to advertising, but last year, I bought three things because I saw them on Facebook, including a permaculture course that I have yet to complete! So I humbly have to admit that I sometimes have a problem with impulse spending.

I live with my adult son, who has disabilities but pays half the living expenses, and an elderly cat Tabitha, who is living her final years as the queen that she is. We have a comfortable and affordable apartment, but I would like to travel after my Tabitha is gone. Hopefully not for a few more years. I'm interested in a nomadic lifestyle sometime in the future.

I had been interested in getting a house in a country and practicing permaculture, but after a test run with a family property in Michigan, I realized that I didn't like being tied down to one location, and besides, I'm not a very attentive gardener. So I moved back to Appleton, where I had lived previously, and I'm trying to live a simple lifestyle as my authentic self.
Welcome. You can block those ads on Facebook if you do not want to see them again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts