Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen all the copycat recipes, but they aren't what I'm looking for. Years ago, before the Popeye's factory started sending frozen to each of the stores, they used to make their biscuits on site & I would watch them from a table thru a window in our local Popeye's. What I actually saw with my own eyes is that they would open a sack of flour/biscuit mix, dump it in this huge mixer, then they would take this large "tube" (similar to a tube of refrigerated cookie dough-but bigger) of white looking "stuff" and squeeze it out of the tube into the huge mixer. I assume this was some type of margarine, butter?? combination. Then they would open a jug of buttermilk and pour it into a huge metal measuring container (kinda like a pitcher) then dump it in the huge mixer, turn the mixer on and turn around and walk off for a while. When the time limit was up they would dump it out onto a floured surface, throw some flour on top of it and then put a long metal bar on each side of the dough & roll out the dough with edge of each side of the dough roller resting on the metal bar while rolling the the dough. This was apparently to achieve a uniform thickness. The bar looked to be 1/2" x 1/2" x 18" long. They would then cut them out with a biscuit cutter & place them on a large greased pan. I never could guage the amounts of each ingredient they used. I've heard they use convection ovens but don't know what temp they use or how long they bake them. The copycat recipes call for sour cream, & there could possibly have been some in those "tubes" along with the butter or shortening. They also call for 7-UP, Sprite or Club Soda; I never saw anything like this put in the mixer, only buttermilk. When they were thru baking, they used a paint brush to butter them. this is to the best of my recollection, but I used to watch them every time I would go in there & would sometimes go in & eat chicken even when I didn't want it so that I could try & watch them to figure out what they were doing.

My question is: Does anyone out there have any info on this subject or a Popeye's recipe that sounds like this?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Here's another traditional recipe using shortening and buttermilk. Southern Biscuits Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network A little extra salt and some butter slathered on top when they come out should do it.

High temps and a heavy pan are needed for good biscuits. Put them close together and they will rise higher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may can help you out. I worked for Popeye's for 5 years before I joined the miltary (sad I know). I was there when they orginally started making bisciut I even went to there"biscuit school" back in 1982. This what I can remember they started with biscuit mix refrigated for 24 hrs then had biscuit shortening that 2 was refrigated 24 hours they mix the 2 together and that was refrigarted 24 hrs. Here's the amounts for half a batch 40 ounces of biscuit mix 14 oz of baking shortening 1 quart butter milk mix one minute, cut them with a biscuit cutter and boom there it is. Bake at 400 degrees cant remember how long though

·
Registered
256 Posts
OMG THAT SOUNDS EASY!!!!!! Now for me it's a matter of getting the ingredient quanities right for small batches!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts