Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what the average cost is for it. We currently have a furnace that is not being used, so I guess that's where the inside unit would go. We have dropped ceiling in the hallway for the duct work, and we would just have 1 vent into each room that is off the hallway, if that makes sense. Anyone with experience with this?

·
Registered
419 Posts
we had central ac installed a year and a half ago. We took out 2 very large ac mounted into the walls, one at each end of the house. as for cost, the unit including installation was around 1600.00. We didnt need any duct work. Our heat is forced hot air, so the hvac man only had to put the ac unit on the furnace, and then the condenser unit outside, the holes in the walls we put stained glass windows. The only work done inside the house was the new thermostate. I did notice a decrease in our electric bill, when I compared last summers central air bill, with the year before room air conditioners bill. I think the reason is the whole house is about the same temp with central air, we dont have to run the large hallway ac on high to somewhat cool the 2 rooms in the back of the house that tend to get hot. and the rooms close to the ac are subzero.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
We have centrail air in our house, we bought the home with it already installed but I know when we use the central air in the summer our bills goes up about $50-$75 a month. I am totally cheap, I wait as long as we can before turning it on if at all. We have energy efficient air conditioners that we use and our bills only go up about $25 a month using those.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
DH is an HVAC man and here's what I can tell you in general. The main AC unit goes outside your house and I'm pretty sure connects to your furnace inside and uses the same duck work. (If you have a furnace there should be duckwork????) The square footage of your house decides how large (or what they call tons - like a 2 ton unit) you need. the bigger the unit the more expensive. Most of the HVAC companies here charge 200% to 300% more for parts and/or units then they pay for them. Labor is expensive too. Companies all have to cover thier overhead. ...... Here's what most people don't know ....I've yet to meet a licensed HVAC guy that doesn't also pick up an occassional side job even when the company discourages it....and the price, even though it may seem to high to a lay person is WWWWAAAAYYYY lower then you would pay a company. If it's not, that's not the guy for you. Hunt around through friends and family and see if they know of anyone that does HVAC DH's family is in Florida and AC is a big thing so finding someone who does it for a living should be doable. Call a couple of companies out for a free estimate so you have a comparison and then do research on the brands of equipment they want to sell you. Arco air is good equipment....Janitrol is junk according to HVAC guys here. (Nicknamed junkitrol or Janajunk). Feel free to PM me if you have really specific questions. It may take me a couple of days to get back to you as I would just be the relay and DH would actually be answering but he hates seeing people get taken advantage of. Prices could run anywhere from $500.00 to tens of thousands of dollars to install a system. Lots of things factor in.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
DH is an HVAC man and here's what I can tell you in general. The main AC unit goes outside your house and I'm pretty sure connects to your furnace inside and uses the same duck work. (If you have a furnace there should be duckwork????) The square footage of your house decides how large (or what they call tons - like a 2 ton unit) you need. the bigger the unit the more expensive. Most of the HVAC companies here charge 200% to 300% more for parts and/or units then they pay for them. Labor is expensive too. Companies all have to cover thier overhead. ...... Here's what most people don't know ....I've yet to meet a licensed HVAC guy that doesn't also pick up an occassional side job even when the company discourages it....and the price, even though it may seem to high to a lay person is WWWWAAAAYYYY lower then you would pay a company. If it's not, that's not the guy for you. Hunt around through friends and family and see if they know of anyone that does HVAC DH's family is in Florida and AC is a big thing so finding someone who does it for a living should be doable. Call a couple of companies out for a free estimate so you have a comparison and then do research on the brands of equipment they want to sell you. Arco air is good equipment....Janitrol is junk according to HVAC guys here. (Nicknamed junkitrol or Janajunk). Feel free to PM me if you have really specific questions. It may take me a couple of days to get back to you as I would just be the relay and DH would actually be answering but he hates seeing people get taken advantage of. Prices could run anywhere from $500.00 to tens of thousands of dollars to install a system. Lots of things factor in.
My dh is also an HVAC man and he is nationaly certified so he may be able to answer your questions. But the main thing is that the cost depends on a lot of things, The cost to put one in in Florida can run from 1,500 to many of thousands. I personaly have never heard of dh installing any ac for 500.$. And the coast to use one depends on the unit, your house, and what temp you keep it at so ther is no way to estimate how it will affect your electric bill.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
We had central air installed a few years ago. We are in a ranch house. We also needed duct work. The total cost was about $3,200. It was well worth it. IMHO.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We had it installed 2 years ago, and the cost was in the thousands. Much higher than listed prices here.We had to have two units, one for up , one for down.Make sure that you have a contract and that the work is being done by a licensed, bonded company or business.We could have went a cheaper route,but if problems arise..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts