Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most refunds ask for a cash tape as additional proof of purchase. Save your tapes in a small shoebox. What do you do if a tape is needed for two or more different refunds? There are several solutions to this problem.

Some refunders cut up their tapes, and only send a small portion. Others photocopy them when more than one item is listed. Both these methods work part of the time. Read the fine print on the refund form. If it asks specifically for a "dated original tape", you're safest sending the entire original tape. Also, be very careful with refunds that are addressed to the clearinghouse in "Young America, MN". This clearinghouse is very picky, and will return your proofs of purchase if you cut a tape or photocopy it. If you choose to send a partial or copied tape, enclose a short note with your refund explaining why you cut or photocopied the tape.

I discovered another way around the tape problem when I was shopping and had three items in my cart, each good for a large refund. They all asked for a dated original receipt. If I checked out in the conventional way, I knew I'd have only one long tape, but I needed three. So this is what I did. I had the checker ring up all my groceries except the three items that were good on refunds. I wrote my check for $10 over the price of my purchases. The checker gave me $10 in cash. While the bagger sacked my groceries, I quickly paid for my last three items, one at a time. The checker scanned the first item, I handed her the cash, and she gave me the change along with the receipt. I did the same with the other two items. Those last three purchases did not take more than 45 seconds total, and the box boy was still sacking my groceries when I finished. I tucked my three valuable receipts into my purse, went home and sent for my refunds before my groceries were even unpacked.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts