Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out I have to bring a dessert to a meeting for work tomorrow :poop:, but I found this great looking recipe:

SALTINE TOFFEE BAR COOKIES

(I got this from cookierecipe.com!)

Makes 1 cookie sheet, you can break it into small or large pieces.

1 sleeve (from a 1 lb. box) saltines
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 12-oz. package chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli double chocolate)
chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Line a cookie sheet (the kind with sides) with a single layer of saltine crackers.

In a saucepan, combine butter & sugar, over high heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes (keep stirring!). Immediately pour over saltines and spread quickly to cover crackers.

Bake for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cover evenly with chocolate chips. Let sit for 5 minutes and spread chocolate; sprinkle on nuts if using. Let cool completely (we put it in the fridge for an hour to cool it faster), then break into pieces. Keep covered tightly!

·
Registered
623 Posts
One of my college roommates used to make this all the time...we called it cracker snack. I love this stuff!!!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
We've always called it "Poor Man's Toffee"........whatever you call it, it is very good!:)

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have had this before and it was yummy. Thanks for the recipe.:thanx:

·
Registered
374 Posts
It is good but I do have one question.....How do yuou get it out of the pan? Me is like cement. Tasty cement at that

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
It is good but I do have one question.....How do yuou get it out of the pan? Me is like cement. Tasty cement at that
I line my cookie sheet with aluminum foil and I spray the foil with a cooking spray like Pam or whatever I happen to have. I put my pan in our chest freezer to cool it quickly. Once it is cool I pull the foil out of the pan and peel it off the back of the toffee and then I break the toffee into pieces!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is how I get mine out!

I line my cookie sheet with aluminum foil and I spray the foil with a cooking spray like Pam or whatever I happen to have. I put my pan in our chest freezer to cool it quickly. Once it is cool I pull the foil out of the pan and peel it off the back of the toffee and then I break the toffee into pieces!!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
:lol3:This stuff is probably sinful! I make it several times a year and people are always amazed at how good it is!

·
Registered
158 Posts
OMG! I saw this recipe on here last week and I made it on Sunday afternoon. My family absolutely loved it. I took a piece of it to work on Monday with my lunch and today I had to bring the recipe and copy it for all of our staff. Everybody was shocked that it had saltines in it!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
We call it "better than money toffee". I made it on New Year's Eve for the first time, and we all loved it. I did double the part to spread over the crackers though. There didn't seem to be enough in the recipe as it was written.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Making these now for the kids...they'll be excited when they get home from school. :chef2:

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo for the recipe - think I'll make it for my painters and yard sale helpers this weekend!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
We make this at Christmas time along with the other goodies. It is soooo good. We like the way the cracker cuts the sweetness just a little bit compared to 'real' tofee.

·
Registered
682 Posts
We make this at Christmas as well. We call it "Christmas Crack " because it's so addictive I dare you to stop eating it lol

Andrea

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I just spray the cookie sheet w/nonstick spray, and I haven't had any sticking yet :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts