Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some apples that aren't the freshest do anyone know what I can do with them so that I don't waste them all? Thanks in advance! :tay:

·
Registered
44 Posts
make some applesauce out of them if there are alot . For not a huge amount, how bout apple crisp or betty, baked apples, small batch of applesauce or apple butter,

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The best thing to make from "spoiled" apples (not actually spoiled, but bruised or past their prime apples) is cider!

I used to do it with my mom. We would take all the ones that fell off the trees in the yard and were all bruised. I don't have the recipe, but it isn't hard. I'm sure you can do a google search and find a good recipe!

Reactions: DmPatton

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just made hot apples tonight for our dinner, mine were getting soft. Just a little water, cinnamon and sugar, and simmer till they start to fall apart. They were yummy!:apple:

·
Registered
787 Posts
my sister makes the most awesomest (i know, not a word, but only way to describe this cake) cake. she calls it a raw apple cake.
it tastes like a spice cake with bits of walnuts and apples.
i will see if i can get the recipe from her.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
"Fried Apples", similar to how Susanscraps makes hers.

(Note: This recipe works better for sour apples, but can work for sweeter varieties, as well. Just add less brown sugar.)

But I peel and core them, slice them up thin, add to a skillet, put in some butter & brown sugar and fry them until nice & almost mooshy.
(Optional: You can add some apple pie spice too, if you have it.)

Now, all the measurments will depend largely on how many apples, so just go by taste.

Once you've fried them. Let them cool and put into a bowl and store overnight.
Then you can make Fried Apple pies, yeah it's a Southern thing!

Take a can of biscuits and roll each one out.
Add several spoonfuls of fried apples down the middle and then flip one side of the biscuit over, to meet the other side.
Take a fork, and go around the 1/2 moon pie and crimp well.

Then add a bit of oil to a pan and fry until nice & golden.

These are SOOO good, you can serve them with or without ice cream.
We always just carried them around in our hand and ate them, as is.

They are good cold too.

·
Registered
645 Posts
There is no such thing as a bad apple - just grate them and freeze them to make apple bread or apple muffins in the winter. I freeze the exact amount the apple bread calls for - 1 cup. Then I just pull it out in winter and make some bread.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
There is no such thing as a bad apple - just grate them and freeze them to make apple bread or apple muffins in the winter. I freeze the exact amount the apple bread calls for - 1 cup. Then I just pull it out in winter and make some bread.
That's a great tip and I have apples coming out of me ears. Does it get all 'mushy' to bake with like frozen zucchini does?

·
Registered
645 Posts
That's a great tip and I have apples coming out of me ears. Does it get all 'mushy' to bake with like frozen zucchini does?
It gets fairly soft, but it doesn't matter because it's in the bread! ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wish I had apples coming out my ears... especially gonna golds yumm..... I so miss our apple tree we had at our old house.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts