Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ACK!! My recipes are such a mess.
I recently got MasterCook9 and while it will be great once I get all my recipes filed into it in the mean time I have hundreds if not thousands of recipes I have printed off the internet.

I have two large binders i try to clip all my recipes into but for some reason half of them never get properly filed and just end up stuffed into the folder. When I take one out to use it almost never makes it way back.

How do you store your recipes?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine are in a 3-inch binder with page protectors. I just print off ones that I think are interesting, slip it into a slot and wait for a day I feel like trying something new. If I try it and everyone likes it, I'm done. If I don't like it, I throw it out.

I have juststarted to weed through my receipe books and actually rip out the pages with the receipe(s) I like and just slip that into a slot. I'm hoping to elimanate the cupboard full of cookbooks that have invaded my home since I starting cooking.

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
I've tried different things, but have gone back to the old fashioned 3x5 card file box. If I have to write them out, laziness helps me avoid such a clutter of things that sound good but, if I'm honest, know I will never make.

I did spring for a pretty card file to inspire me though, and settled on 3x5 instead of 4x6, on the grounds that if it's too complicated to fit on a 3x5 card, it's a lot more complicated than I want to deal with anyway.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I recently put my recipes in a binder with page protecters & dividerswhich makes it nice that they are organized and readily available and I can add more recipes whenever I want.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
The printed ones are in a binder type thingy. They are organized with tabs for different type recipes. I just lay it open to use a recipe and never take it out.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
My 'to try' recipes are on my computer desktop. Grab the icon in the URL box and drag outside the browser window and presto, a desktop link back to that website. If I don't try them after a while or they no longer look interesting, I delete them.

Tried and true web recipes are kept in electronic form in a special file folder on the hard drive. A few I have printed out, usually I just write down the key ingredients on a sticky, and refer back to the computer screen if I need to.

The printed recipes, magazine pages, and recipe booklets are in a kitchen drawer. These are mostly cookies and desserts, and things DH makes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I joined Food.com - Thousands Of Free Recipes From Home Chefs With Recipe Ratings, Reviews And Tips and created separate cookbooks for the things I routinely make - crockpot, breads, soups, etc. I find pretty much any kind of recipe that I want there - if it's not exactly like one on another website, there is a note function where I can put how I want to change it or have changed it. I also post good recipes from other places there, so it's easy for me to find them.

I am a member of a few other food websites, but this one has the most flexibility for my purposes.

I also have a folder in Word for recipes that I save from other places - I just cut and paste them into word documents - one for breads, one for crockpot, etc. As I discard them or post them on food.com, I delete them from the document.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
ha, my intention was too do the same as you but my "to try " stack got out of hand.
Same here..........think I will go for the spiral notebook idea.........then I don't have to rewrite a bunch of the ones that I already have. And I can add the 3 X 5 cards that I have had for years.....my mom's recipes mainly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.