Frugal Village Forums banner

Recommend read-aloud chapter books

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  iida 
#1 ·
Can y'all recommend some read-aloud chapter books for my 1st grader (7 year old) son?

I'm looking to do this in addition to his reading to me at night.

#4 ·
My 6 year old and I have read Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little and Trumpet of the Swan, by E.B. White. She loved them!

#7 ·
(Longer stories for those who are ready for a bit more content)
Dragonrider
The Secret Garden
The Wind in the Willows
Farmer Boy
The Hobbit

Paddington
Pooh
Mr. Popper's Penguins

(shorter, series, and/or "you'll be ready to read this yourself soon" types)
Magic Tree House
ABC Mysteries
Henry Huggins
Hank the Cowdog

(For girls I would add)
American Girl stories
Little House books (this has some boy appeal)
Ramona Quimby series
Ellen Tebbits
Pony Pals
Animal Ark (this may have boy appeal)
Judy Moody (again, may appeal to some boys)

#8 · (Edited)
The Strawberry Girl (girls and boys will like== and you get to read with a 'twang lol)

Mr. Penguins Popper (excellent book)

Dove (I read this to my jr. high sped classes....they loved it)

Anything Gary Paulsen (for those reluctant readers here is his biography: http://www.randomhouse.com/features/garypaulsen/about.html

Erin Hunter has a series about "cats" called Warriors (my 11 yo loves those books)

RL Stine books for suspense

#9 ·
The Best School Year Ever is hilarious.
My ds loves the Captain Underpants series.
agreeing with Magic Treehouse and Junie B. Jones series.

#10 ·
My second grader loves the Choose your own adventure books. These were big when I was in grade school and I had to scour the library to find them. Even the librarians had never heard of them. But we finally found them in a dusty corner!

My son's love them. They are a bit challanging to read, but they are definately something he could read with some help! And the kids love that they choose the story and it is different every time! And most of them are themed towards boys, which I liked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.