Frugal Village Forums banner

Recommend resources for baby planning

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  mombottoo 
#1 ·
Dh and I just found out we are expecting a baby in early September. I've been searching the internet for some resources on preparing financially for having a baby, and they all seem kind of dismissive.

Our concerns:
1) I'll be on half salary for 16 weeks of leave, so we will need to save at least 2 months salary by my calculations. Goal is $12-15K, which is possible with our tax returns and my annual bonus.

2) We are going to need to spend some money on baby proofing the house and removing/covering lead paint. We live in a 1750 antique farmhouse that hasn't been updated except for insulation and paint we put in last year since 1923.

3) My clothes already don't fit.

4) We have about $7K in debt to pay off

5) DH's business is not doing well, and he has little to no income these days.

Any insight, advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
For the clothes, look in to Bella Bands -- they let you keep wearing the clothes you have.

Check freecycle for Maternity clothes too.

Removing lead paint is expensive, and has to be professionally done. Paint what you can. Check for peeling ceilings etc.

Your house is baby proof for the next year, that is not such an immediate task.

May be easier said than done, but the newspapers look for adults to deliver the papers in the early mornings, and most drivers don't stay long.
DH is going to have to get a side job, at least temporarily.

#3 ·
Regarding the maternity clothes--when I was pregnant with Maggie all I purchased were a few maternity t-shirts for 9.99$ each at Target and a belly band for 9.99$ at Target. The belly band is awesome--It goes up around your pants and keeps your pants up without buttoning. It was much cheaper to buy one of those than buy maternity pants. Also, I would check craigslist or second-hand stores for maternity clothes if you had to buy maternity clothes. Why buy them brand new when you will only wear them for a few months is my way of thinking. I have more advice, will be back later.

#4 ·
I'd like to join this thread too, am expecting in June. :) The Belly Band tip is quite helpful. I was just wondering if I should take out some savings money for maternity clothes. I'm not very large yet, but my pants are getting tighter.

As for my own plans, so far I've got breastfeeding for six months and cloth diapering plans (cottonbabies.com) but would appreciate any additional advice or tips.

#5 ·
Salvation Army will be getting donations from people who got unwanted gifts w/ in the next 2-3 weeks. Last year I got some tag on gifts for next to nothing.

Remember not too many 0-3 months clothes. Unless you have a preemie that size only last about a month. Summer babies need onsies or very little lightweight clothes.

G
#7 ·
Also - start signing up on every baby site you can think of (Huggies, Pampers, formula manufacturers, baby food manufacturers) - they will send tons of coupons and even some free items - I got two diaper bags from Enfamil.

I would also add, if you see a sale on diapers now, pick up a couple of packs. It helps to have a stockpile before the baby gets here. Also, pick up some in difference sizes - it stinks to have to run out because the 2's don't fit anymore and you need the 3's.

Another thing I did was to check with my insurance and figure out a ballpark estimate of what the labor/delivery and first baby checkups would cost. I had a high deductible plan, and it was helpful knowing beforehand that while I would hit my deductible in about month 4, my baby would have to hit his deductible too. That made planning a lot easier.

Target and Old Navy are pretty cheap for maternity clothes. I worked in an office, so I couldn't take most of the jeans and t-shirts offered to me. I sprang for one nice outfit for a business trip that was arranged prior to my pregnancy, but everything else I could get at Target or Old Navy.

If the debt isn't too horrible (high interest rate credit cards or whatever) I'd tend to build up more savings that worry about getting rid of it immediately, especially if you expect work to pick up for your husband. I couldn't tell from your post if this is a slow period and will pick up, or if he's going to need a new job.

#8 ·
most of the THINGS parents buy are not needed.... Now I love a good swing and the batteries and even one that plug in are worth their weight in gold compared to the crank ones my kids had BUT they are everywhere you do not need new. look at garage sales most have very little wear. Kids out grow those things in a few months.

My boys wore 3 months at just 4 weeks

I agree Breast feeding will save you a ton of money but do not go out and buy a fancy pump you do not need it. After you find BF is working for you and you are going back to work and going to continue to BF then yes a good pump is great. You do need to get baby used to a bottle several weeks before going back to work but until then save that money and you can buy a used pump and get new attachments. I used a hand slide pump that cost $10 and it worked great for me.

#9 ·
Congratulations and best wished for a happy and healthy pregnancy, ladies!

I am fanatical about new car seats, but other than that, I say second-hand! The safety is so easily compromised (temperature fluctuations & fender-benders cause microscopic cracks that weaken the seat)

Also, check into what your insurance will pay for well-child visits and shots. A few of my friends have gone to the county for the same inoculations for $12 as they would have at the pediatrician for $500+ b/c they are NOT COVERED by insurance.

I like the Dr. Sears' books. They cover so many areas and are a great reference to have on hand. I found many at a half-price book store.

Buy items that are gender neutral! I bought my daughter pink, pink and more pink. My poor boy....

#10 ·
My dd is pregnant. She received maternity clothes for Christmas presents, clearance price. My sister bought her a bella band and dd loves it! I got her warm-up type suits from JC Penney that are nice looking, pants from Target for 5 bucks, and tops for 3-5 bucks, some tops were 9.99. She should be good to go till April when she is due. For Christmas she also received some baby clothes, Lands End at Sears 70% off. Some things were $1.95. The highest was a diaper bag for $7.80.

This spring I plan on hitting yard sales for clothes and toys. Of course I put the word out at my work that I'll take anything free.

#11 ·
Congratulations.

The bella band is a great idea. Target carries one by that same company but its cheaper, only around $16 or so. I haven't bought any traditional maternity tops. There are a lot of shirts out there right now that are longer than normal and they work great. Just buy a size bigger if you want extra stretch. That and a pair of yoga type pants for when I'm at home are the two best things I have.

Baby stuff is the best stuff to buy secondhand (minus the carseat) because babies grow so fast that half the things never get used. Check craigslist, freecycle and any local second hand stores. Also with warmer weather coming start checking yard sales. You can find lots of things like new or even brand new. I know dd didn't wear everything we got at the baby shower, I regifted a lot of it since it was brand new with the tags still on.

About buying diapers and such beforehand be careful. My dd could only wear a couple brands due to sensitive skin and the fit. She couldn't wear Luvs or walmart brand because they didn't fit her right and would leak every time. If you are wanting to save some money specifically for diapers maybe put the money equal to a pack of diapers on a store gift card and it will be like buying the diapers only you can wait and see which brands work best for you.

It would be a good idea to start looking at sales now for winter items though. Just look for gender neutral things you can buy no matter what sex the baby is. For the summer weather babies don't need much, just onesies and light blankets really. The winter will require more. As things start going on sale now you can start stocking up and get great prices on blankets, pants, etc. Also check yard sales again this spring/summer.

Nearly every baby company out there gives samples and coupons. You need to just check their website or call the company and ask for them. They will send free diapers, wipes, formula, etc. Not to mention hundreds of dollars in coupons.

I do recommend getting a new carseat though. Buying a used carseat worries me because you don't know if its been in an accident or treated correctly. You also have to worry about recalls. That's just my personal preference though.

Everyone has different things that they consider necessities for babies and pregnancy and its not only different for every person but for every baby. Don't get sucked in by what the baby companies tell you that you have to have.

#12 ·
Sometimes your state's HUD office will offer Lead Paint removal grants. I would check your state's web page or google Lead paint removal <insert state here>

Congratulations on you good news!

ETA: also, see if you"re eligible for WIC - pregnant women can get it before and 6 weeks after birth.

#14 ·
I didn't read all the replies but I wanted to caution you about you being the one to deal with the lead paint. When you are remodeling it is the lead that ends up in the dust that is the problem & I don't know if it would cause any issues with your unborn child. Please check with your doctor.

I know that when my dd's home was redone this spring/summer they had to move out until the lead based paint was removed. The contractor had to have hazmat (sp) certification, had to use a special vacuum to remove the dust and had to replace or paint over very well any areas that had lead based paint....it was a real PITA!

September is a ways off so you have plenty of time to gather what you will need for your child. I was never one to baby proof anything so I really can't help you there. But, if you don't mind 2nd hand stuff I'd start at thrift shops, yard sales and the like. Babies grow so quickly you can find really nice stuff cheap!

Congratulations on your baby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.