Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done this before but the material that was on the seat wasn't the prettiest piece of material. I had been given some material (just for me) from a friend, ;) and it matches perfect with the wood and with my m/bedroom. So I took it, covered over the old material and it looks wonderful. (wish I had a digital)

I also have another antique chair, again with the ugliest cushion. I have enough material to make a new cushion.

Both chairs were purchased for $4.00 and $2.00 at yard sales.

A number of years ago I purchased a round antique table to put into my m/bedroom but it sits in our foyer. Today, I'm moving the computer and my sewing desk and putting the table and two chairs (one on each side of the table) and making the m/bedroom look more and more Victorian. (I will take pictures and get them scanned by a friend when I do the quilting tutorials. Thanks to a very special friend who always so willingly does this for me.)

It feels good to get this done and at very little cost!!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
That was a great and frugal idea CJ!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished the cushion (haven't even had lunch yet) and made ties for the cushion, long enough so that I can tie 2 bows on the back. Looking good!!!

I'm determined to make my bedroom a bedroom!!! I'm tired of having the computer and yes, even the sewing machine in our bedroom.

I heard once that your bedroom is suppose to be a place of rest!! When I come in here I see just too many things!!

Carolyn, why am I not surprised you and I are doing the same things. Kindred-spirits for sure!! ;)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Wow, those chairs sure were a bargain. I bet they look beautiful with the new cushion material. It seems like when you recover an item it makes it almost like new again. I recovered me kitchen chairs several years ago and they looked great for years but I need to redo them again. I am redoing my kitchen in a 1940s theme with cherries as the main decorations (I have some old tableclothes from the '40s with cherries on them so that was my inspiration) so I am looking for some sturdy cherry fabric to recover them in. I think I will check JoAnn's and use my 50% off coupon for it. :D

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Way to go CJ, you never cease to amaze me!! It is really neat though isn't it how we can dramatically change something with few resources, just some creativity and umph!!!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I can't wait to see them! I bet your bedroom is beautiful!

Our bedroom is full of tools right now. LOL

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I keep my computer in my room along with everything else I don not want overused and probably abused by my kids. I cant wait to get that sewing room so I can puter and sew in there. Hurry up Nicole...go off to college so mommie can clutter up that room.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
That sounds like such a fun project CJ, I can't wait to see the photos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Robin, that is the sewing, computer/ GUEST ROOM........ Don't forget about me !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
This must be catching, I too have 2 old chairs to re-cover! First however they need stripping down. I did re-cover the seats years ago but they need doing again; they are 1930s I would guess, and are destined eventually for kitchen chairs in our 1930s home. Hoping to make a start on them during the Easter break.

Top tip for a very quick way to cover the pull-out type of seats - use mapping pins/drawing pins! A no-sew method which can work really well.

Belinda:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts