Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For over a year now dh and I have been recycling soda cans. Then when we get enough then we take the to the recycling center. Last time that he did this he got about $50 to $60. But it took us awhile to get that. Now I find myself at work diging through the trash cans for cans. Mainly the trash can that I go through is a good size trash can. I am taking home anywhere from 4-8 cans a night. I sometimes go through the trash can that is sitting outside at work for guest to throw there trash in. Only if the cans are fairly easy to get to. It has got to the point that if I see any cans in the trash I have to get them. I was talking to a co-worker the other day about it. He said that if he knew that I was saving cans then he would have given me the ones that he just threw out. Well now he is going to start saving his cans for me. Dh and I have set a bucket next to our regular trash can. I think that he got it from his fromer employer. It was those big containers of laundry soap. We just put a regular trash bag in it. Since I have been doing this. We have been chaning the trash bag more often now. I am sure that we need to take what we have now to the recycling center by now. We wait until we have between 30- 50 bag. Anything less than that it isn't worth us to take it to the center. Since the closest recycling center is atleast 40 miles away. That is the closest major town with a big recycling center. So I am glad that I said something to my co-worker. Hey it is one more way to try to earn some extra money. Every little bits helps. If the recycling center would do this with newspapers as well. I would rack up on that as well.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
We do it too. We walk alot and we pick up any we find, so many people just throw them out. Two full garbage bags gets us about $20. I even go through the recycling bins because so many people just recycle the cans instead of turning them in for money.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Here in PA you don't get money for cans. But in Oregon you do and we once raised over $500 for a trip just collecting and turning in people's cans! Needless to say, I miss the trash-to-cash.

·
Registered
818 Posts
There are several groups of folk who recycle the pop-tops tabs from cans for charity. That way you can send them the tabs in the mail from all across the country. I think Shands Hospital does this and some local schools.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
In oregon we get 5 cents a can, of course you pay for this when you first by the product....but it's like throwing nickels away?? Why not get that money back? It amazes me how many people throw them away. One of the guys at work set up a large can in the break room for everyone to toss them in, he put up a small childs basket ball hoop over the top...the guys love the challenge.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When we were dating DH was in school and working as a custodian part time. He got to keep a lot of the school's cans, and I'm proud to say my engagement ring was partially bought with "can money"! ;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thats cute!

·
Registered
392 Posts
We also collect cans. Only 5 cents in NY. But we wait til my father comes home for a visit and he takes them back with him to Michigan and get 10 cents a can. Then he will deposit the money in the bank and transfer it to the kids accounts. It does add up quick.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
We collect cans, copper and stainless steel off job sites. We go about once a week. The most we ever got was 75.00 for a load of staineless pots a resturant was throwing away. Put it was worth it to me to load um up and take them in. Our center also takes car batteries. We pick them up off neighborhood trash piles as the normal trash collection won't pick them up. A buck a piece. Keep an old rubber floor mat in the back of my van to protect the carpet.
One mans trash is another mans treasure!
Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In oregon we get 5 cents a can, of course you pay for this when you first by the product....but it's like throwing nickels away?? Why not get that money back? It amazes me how many people throw them away. One of the guys at work set up a large can in the break room for everyone to toss them in, he put up a small childs basket ball hoop over the top...the guys love the challenge.
At my last job we did something similer(sp) with the large trash can. But they ended up just cutting a hole in the top of the trash can lid. Then when it go full someone took it out to the Habit(SP) for Humanity bin that we had sitting outside of the store that I was working at. IT was something that a collage kid that was working there thought of. Since that for one we had there so that customers could put there cans in. For the second reason was that there were 2 can soda machines in the break room give a little back to the community. But here in Missouri it is anywhere from .40 to .60 cents a pound to take in soda cans. So that is why that dh and I wait until we have plenty to take in. When dh built our storage shed he built a leand too onto it. So that is where we store our bags of cans. I think that I am also going to try to start doing what someone else mentiones. Taking walks. That way I can also get some excerise at the same time. But I do like every one else suggestions as well.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Where I live in Ca. I get $1.95 a lb for cand and 0.95 for the plastic soda bottles. Last time I took them in I got $40 for 5 bags mostly plastic. I drive my son up the wall by keeping them but I've been doing it forever.
Fern

·
Registered
330 Posts
We save cans, bottles and plastic. I MAKE my BF save them because where i take them, they give you a voucher for the grocery store. There is nothing better than going shopping and getting $40 off my bill. I have been nagging him so much lately, he actually made his friend take them out of our trash and throw them into our can recycle bin.
I also started everyone at work recycling. We bought some rubbermaid containers, and once they are filled we are going to get a pizza lunch for the office. We have vending machine at our work, so alot of people seem to drink soda around work.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
i wish we had can pop . Were not allowed on PEI because we always had a small buisness (Seamens Beverages) that have glass bottles. If can pop came on the Island to sell, it would probably bankrupt them. Not saying that people dont go across to N.B. and buy it and bring it across, but then we cant sell th emptys here either, so it goes to landfill aghhhhhhhh
But they'll sell can juice, doesnt make sense does it, and guess whwre they go, land fills too. Its not on our recycling list ive seen in waste watch.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know that I am the one that started this post. But since then I have started at my job what we call the can can. There are several people that I work with that save cans as well. Both are like me do it for a little extra cash. So two of us are going to take turns of taking the trash bag from our can can. I put the can out on Saturday and it is almost full already.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I collect them and put them in the recycle bin at work, and collect mine at home and cash them in. It never occurred to me to take them home from work (duh!) and I'm not sure I'd feel right about taking ones that someone else put in the bin, but I think I'm going to start taking home the ones I collect.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I collect them and put them in the recycle bin at work, and collect mine at home and cash them in. It never occurred to me to take them home from work (duh!) and I'm not sure I'd feel right about taking ones that someone else put in the bin, but I think I'm going to start taking home the ones I collect.
I have been doing this for sometime. Taking from work to home. When I frist started working here I was not like that. But whoever drake soda would sit the empty cans on a counter in the back at work for another gal that dose this very same thing. But last year when dh and I started saving our cans I still wasn't bringing them home. Until very recently. Then it got to the point at work that I have been diving in the trash can for them. Then I had a brain storm that to get a empty bucket. Then her and I would alternat on it. I thought that it would be an easy soultion so that neaither one of us would get mad over the other for taking the cans home. I suggeted this idea to her this past weekend. She is the head house keeper here where I work. Even the maids will save cans that they find in the rooms for her. That every once in awhile that she will buy the rest of the housekeeping staff a pizza out of that money that she gets when she truns in the cans. Since that they are trying to help her out in a way. Which I thought that was a nice idea. I am almost thinking about doing that with the ones that I take with me. But there really is only a selected few that drinks can soda. Really the only ones that drink can soda is the ones that work the front desk. But I am like you in a way. At frist I didn't feel right. Now like I said that i am trash diving for soda cans. So that is why that I came up with the can can

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Not only do we save the cans at our house but DH will bring home scrap wire and strip it. Copper pays quite a bit a pound also. It paid 40 last time for his fishing license.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My ds's save cans. Dh keeps putting his in the trash when he has a soda, I hate that. He doesn't throw anything else away! He thinks its to much of a headache to mess with. So my dad takes him to the recycling center for them.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I was thinking of starting that. Anyone in Canada doing this? What are the cans and bottles worth now? Last I heard it was 5 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can saving

I know a homeless man who spends all day collecting bottles and cans. He works about 12 hours a day and makes about $20. He then spends that $20 on booze and then throws away the bottle.

Recycling is a nice idea, but do you really make any money doing it? If you want to make some extra cash you would make more money selling lemonade outside your house.

As far as saving the environment it takes more energy to recycle most things than it does to make them from scratch. From what I have read the only thing that really works is recycling newspapers.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts