Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
YAhhhhh, um, my 5 dogs shed enough without me wearing their fur as clothes as well.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I saw a story about this on one of those news magazine shows. There was this woman who was on disability and to make ends meet she started making things from dog wool. People sent her dog fur from all over.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I've been told that Sheltie fur is some of the best dog fur to spin (we have shelties) but ....I just know it will smell like wet dog fresh from the laundry or if I get stuck out in the rain lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm one of those weird people...I didn't want my dogs downy coat to go in the trash so I put it out in a suet cage. The birds take it for nesting.

A co-worker of mine (from Russia) said it is common for them to knit sweaters from dog fur. I don't think people had the luxury of just running out to local store and picking up skeins and skeins of yarn.

I agree the shapes of the sweaters pictured weren't flattering, kinda sasquatchy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Heck if I could sell the fur I'd be rich

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've read that sweaters made from poodle fur were simply too hot to wear. I have a friend whose business is weaving, knitting, teaching knitting, etc. and she quoted some a number -- can't remember it now -- about how many times warmer poodle fur is than lamb's wool. I just put our poodle fur in the compost or out for bird's nest.

I don't think the Newfoundland sweater looks too bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.