Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing over on eBay and stumbled on this:
Graywater Guide Build your own system How to Grey Water | eBay
Given the drought situation in parts of the US and also the cost of watering gardens, it seems like an idea with merit.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not familiar with this system, don't know if it works, have no knowledge of or connection to the seller, etc. I'm just posting in case it's of interest to someone. Maybe it will spark some ideas for those struggling with the dry weather, or lead to finding other ideas online.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I think that is very interesting and useful. In our area it is illegal to drain waste water into the yard etc. Seems awful silly to me since my lawn is dying and 1/2 brown along with the hay fields. When they come pump and inspect the septic they have to report graywater.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Oh yes! Definitely a no no here. Seems like such a waste when lots of water goes down the drain and into the septic instead of doing something useful.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the drought goes on too long or gets worse in some other way, my guess is cities might have to change some of their codes. The problem would be if ground water would become contaminated. But gray water is different than black water so who knows?

Some campgrounds prohibit dumping of gray water, some encourage it in drier areas. But that's water that's dumped on the surface, not buried below grade.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I think you are right on the possibility of changing codes if it stayed dry long enough. I cant possibly see how my wash water could possibly hurt anything. I'm sure it would stay on our own farm. I find it ironic that graywater is a worry more so than all the chemicals used on the fields in the area.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know. I do know that here there are very strict codes for septic systems and how they're built, with good reason. There has to be certain distances between the septic tank, septic drain field, and our well.

I don't think wash water would be the problem. It would be the stupid stuff your neighbor might decide to put down his system that's the problem.

Maybe a system like the one I posted about isn't legal anywhere.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have my laundry washing machine set up so the water dumps out onto my fruit trees. I am well away from any streams or other water sources that could potentially be contaminated, and the residual detergent acts as a fertilizer for the trees it waters.

On a smaller level, I wash my dishes by hand, and I sometimes take the water from the dishpan and pour it onto my house plants. :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
all of my grey water goes outside on the water i have it on that day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts