Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old dresser I picked up from my son-in-law. His grampa made it. I've started stripping it and am down to the bottom. It is fir plywood. I'm trying to decide what to do with this.

Has anyone had a plywood piece of furniture and how have you handled finishing it? I'm assuming paint is the way to go?

It has some kind of red stain on it. Any ideas what this might be and how I can remove it? I'm trying regular paint stripper for now.

Thanks

Jean

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
You could try sanding it with sand paper, get the fine or extra fine paper, go with the grain, you can stain that any color you want, if you dont want to paint it.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
You could try the sandpaper. If the paint has bled into the plywood however, you probably won't be able to get it all out. Do you like the red? If you do, I would suggest putting on a clear coat of varnish and enjoy the wood the way it is. If you don't like it and it doesn't come out, you will probably end up having to paint the piece. Would love to see a pic of it when you are done! :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If you want to stain, you can stain right over the red if you choose a darker stain or a stain with a red tint and you'll never notice the stain.

Just remember that plywood is finicky, so make sure you apply a good sealant or varnish on top so it doesn't splinter up!

Good luck, you'll have to post a pic when your done. Furniture refinishing is one of my favorite hobbies! I just don't have furniture to refinish too often!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts