Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the best pickles I've ever tasted. I'm going to put them in the village cookbook also but wanted to share them here.

They will keep in your fridge for one year, thats if you don't eat them before. I've never kept them that long though.

Here goes:

6 med. cucumbers, not peeled

Slice thin, enough to make 8 cups, about 3/4 of an ice cream pail full. Add 1 med. onion, sliced thinly.

Boil:
2 c. sugar
1 c. vinegar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. celery seed
1/4 c. table salt

Pour over cucumbers and stir. Place in refrigerator for 8 hours before using. Always keep in fridge.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
If you hope to keep them a while, won't I need to add alum ???

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, you keep them in the fridge and they keep for a year. I wouldn't keep them that long, but you'll have them eaten well before that I can promise you.

The neat thing about these pickles is you can make them anytime of the year especially when cucumbers go on sale at your local grocery store.

They are great at parties, showers or at meals, anywhere you want to use them, they'll be a hit!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I could do that!!!! :D

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I'm with Sherry--Even I could do this :D

Thanks Mamma!!!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
i am thinking i am going to try this. I am sure you could probably add the green peppers with out too much hassel and i can't amagine you screwing anything up :D

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
how long does it boil and can i exclude the onions they are just gross?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I always have tons of pickle juice leftover after we eat all of our pickles (homemade or store bought), does anybody have any ideas about what to do with it. I hate throwing it away, I'm always thinking there has to be some use for it.

Rhiana

1 - 10 of 10 Posts