Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By nature, I am a rather mature and responsible person, particularly for my age. I am also very even-tempered and level-headed. I always have been, it's part of the way I'm wired.

But...the closer it gets to the birth of my baby, the more and more I find myself regressing in both maturity and responsibility. I consider doing things I never would consider before, and I behave ways that I never would otherwise.

I find myself looking for people to argue with over the stupidest things, just for the sake of arguing. I don't want to eat responsibly or healthily anymore -- all I want is cereal, strawberries, and crushed ice. If someone tries to make me eat something other than that, I get annoyed and angry. I am likely to throw a tantrum over the dumbest thing (ie. the guy at the drive-through forgetting the straw for my drink). I don't feel like doing the normal "responsible" things that I've always done -- menu planning, budgeting, wealth tracking, organizing, cleaning etc. Thankfully most of my household basically runs on autopilot in these regards, but still! I feel like buying "toys" (video games etc) for no reason at all.

This is all so disturbing, especially considering the impending onslaught of responsibility. I guess I'm just wondering...is this normal? Did anyone else get like this right before they had their first baby? Did you go back to your normal self after the baby was born?

My hubby is feeling the same. We talked about all of this, and we both think it's probably just because we're freaking out a little...but neither of us really feels like we're freaking out, it's just these weird symptoms that make us feel like we must be. :confused:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
OMG, this is PERFECTLY normal. Funny, but normal. We all do weird things when we are pregnant. I know it has to do with different hormones flooding our brains. Something about something that produces a pleasure response is working overdrive right now. I don't remember. the thing that produces a forgetfullness response was also working on extra power while the doc was telling my why i was acting erratically.

Hugs!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the hugs, Missy. I would totally blame it on hormones...but hubby is acting like this too! He's acting out in nearly all of the same ways that I am, lol. Maybe it's stress?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks for the hugs, Missy. I would totally blame it on hormones...but hubby is acting like this too! He's acting out in nearly all of the same ways that I am, lol. Maybe it's stress?
Odd, but hubbies go through it too. Maybe stress, maybe sympathy hormones....lol...whatever the reason, it just happens.

We have a little added stress with moving next month, but I almost blew my cool with some beggars yesterday. (That might sound selfish, but there are reasons). Normally, I can just shrug it off, but, man, I guess they picked the wrong day!:rollsmile . Dh is having the same issues.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I agree with Missy, this is totally normal, I have been there done that 3 times already, lol and while it may be fustrating it's quite normal and yes hubbies go through it too! :) Your in overdrive now, once the baby comes you will shift back into drive in no time. :hugz:

·
Registered
933 Posts
i believe its sympathy hormones. my husband was the one with the morning sickness and strange cravings my first trimester. i was the one actually going out at 10 at night to get him some ice cream. at least he gained the weight that first 3 months instead of me.
and i didn't eat responsibly either. i ate nothing but tacos. i bet i had tacos every single day. and it had to be taco bell tacos too....
i know i was also picking fights just for the sake of fighting, but the worst part for me. i forgot EVERYTHING. i would always end up standing in front of the icebox with the door open looking inside. my husband would walk by and laugh, asking me what i forgot this time. i never knew, but i was sure i would find it in the icebox!
and the weirdest thing that plagued me, toothbrushes. yes, i couldn't watch people brush their teeth and i couldn't brush my teeth but in little short bursts because toothbrushs made my physically ill. strange.

i dont know why pregnancy plays such weird tricks on your body, but it does and im sure everything your doing/feeling, someone else has experienced too. dont worry, it'll be over soon and everything youve experienced will be totally worth it the first time you see your new baby.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Ani -
I think we are due at about the same time (May 5th), right? I completely understand what you are going through. I think it's a combination of the hormones, and also the impending change in life that is right around the corner. My memory is shot, my body is HUGE, sleeping is elusive -- no wonder we're irratable! My husband, interestingly, is nesting like there is no tomorrow -- I'm glad someone has the energy for it!

Go easy on yourself & give yourself permission to just get through these last weeks however you need to!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My oldest DD who is due with her first baby soon has been going through a crazy time right now also so it maybe it is related to pregnancy. The closer I got to having her the more "motherly" I got I couldn't wait for her to be here I was so busy buying everything I could see for her & decorating her room & washing everything so everything was clean before she wore it or layed on it...lol I was even planning on making my own baby food before she was even born, of course she started eating before too long because a bottle just didn't satisfy her.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Of course I have only gone through it one time, but I got irritable toward the end (Iwas scared to death) and all I wanted to eat the last trimester was whoppers w/cheese. Also, I craved mini carrots like crazy the first three months or so. My DD loves those things to this day at 13..LOL

·
4,028 Posts
Old wives tale: people who crave ice tend to be low in iron! Hmmm!?! Sounds right to me.

I also know several people who after increasing their iron intake stopped chewing on ice.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ahhh! Me too! I couldn't stop eating the baby peeled carrots either. But then again I couldn't eat anything period, but the carrots for the first 5 months.

Sounds normal to me. Of course I have only gone through it one time, but I got irritable toward the end (Iwas scared to death) and all I wanted to eat the last trimester was whoppers w/cheese. Also, I craved mini carrots like crazy the first three months or so. My DD loves those things to this day at 13..LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts