Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't post this last night because I was having a rough time. DD7 was talking to another child at school yesterday who asked her if she believed in God. She said yes she believes in God and the Goddess. So I guess a conversation happened where the other child told DD that if she didn't believe in God and Jesus that she was going to hell and going to be eaten by monsters.
We are Pagan and I have always taught DD religious tolerance and told her that there is not right spirituality there is just what is right for a person what feels right in there soul. That all people are entitled to there own belief. So she has been exposed to lots of different religions because of the diverse group of people I know. From everything to Christianity to Rastafarian. There has never been a problem.
So I dealt with tons of tears at bedtime with DD crying that she was going to hell and going to be eaten by monsters and that so would I.
I do understand that some people are very passionate about what the believe and will not agree with my beliefs and I am fine with that. I just think in this day in age that religious tolerance should be taught. I guess the child said that there parents say that anyone who does not believe is going to get eaten by monsters. I am just frustrated beyond all belief. So after lots of hugs and talking we said our prayers and she fell asleep and woke up having a nightmare about getting eaten by monsters.
Sigh

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
This is one subject I really struggle with my children on.
I personally believe in the teachings of Buddha.
God is very real but the relationship that we have with God is what gets so muddled up between religions.
Im sorry I can't be of much help, just sympathy. I don't exactly know how to handle this myself. Unfortunately this is just something she is going to have to learn to deal with in her own way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't know if the interaction counts as religious intolerance. It's just a lesson in the complete lack of social graces that a 7-year-old came come up with. But I'm very sorry your child was so upset.

Inkstain
(Who once heard a missionary say that the Word of God could be spread for a quarter a day, told his first-grade friends they were going to hell for watching cartoons, went home and demanded his quarter).

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I remember holding my son and soothing his fears when
something similar happened to him. You have my sympathy.

I think everyone from every religion faces intolerance. I think it is just a fact of human interactions with each other.

Reactions: Rhiamon and cmoy

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I don't know if the interaction counts as religious intolerance.
Having been told, point blank myself, that because I don't believe in God, I'm going to go to Hell and suffer for eternity, yes, this interaction is definitely religiously intolerant.

The tactic of "believe like us or suffer" is simply the threat of force masquerading as "concern for our well being".

·
Registered
314 Posts
Having been told, point blank myself, that because I don't believe in God, I'm going to go to Hell and suffer for eternity, yes, this interaction is definitely religiously intolerant.

The tactic of "believe like us or suffer" is simply the threat of force masquerading as "concern for our well being".
See, and you know that we can disagree in a friendly way, I consider *that* view religiously intolerant. A person is perfectly free to hold the religious belief that non-believers will go to hell or be eaten by a space llama or whatever, and they are free to express that belief on occasion so long as it doesn't go over the line to assaulting or if they ignore requests to stop.

A religiously tolerant exchange:

Person 1: Hey, my religion says you are going to boil forever in the Flying Spaghetti Monster's pot if you don't believe in Him.

Person 2: I don't agree with that, and I'm not particularly interested in hearing about it.

Person 1: Fair enough. Let's all have ice cream!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

Yeah but we're talking about a kid. That's a complicated tactic for a 7 year old to come up with.

I dunno if I'd attribute it to religious intolerance either, at least not so much as to the fact that 7 year olds are verbally violent, snotty, angry little creatures who haven't yet mastered the arts of sarcasm and passive aggressive abuse, along with the good manners to talk behind someone's back rather than right to their faces.

I'm sorry about your little one, Rhiamon. If this kid hadn't been religious, she probably would have found something else to wound your daughter with, maybe the fact that she's not wearing the right kind of shoes or carrying around the right kind of backpack. Some kids are just like that.

Do you have any Christian friends who would be willing to talk to her? Maybe they can explain their religion in a much more child friendly way, help ease her mind a little.

Reactions: Rhiamon and cmoy

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
See, and you know that we can disagree in a friendly way, I consider *that* view religiously intolerant. A person is perfectly free to hold the religious belief that non-believers will go to hell or be eaten by a space llama or whatever, and they are free to express that belief on occasion so long as it doesn't go over the line to assaulting or if they ignore requests to stop.

A religiously tolerant exchange:

Person 1: Hey, my religion says you are going to boil forever in the Flying Spaghetti Monster's pot if you don't believe in Him.

Person 2: I don't agree with that, and I'm not particularly interested in hearing about it.

Person 1: Fair enough. Let's all have ice cream!
I just want to point out that Greebo is still going to hell. Religious tolerance only goes so far and you can't save people from eternal damnation just because you want to respect their views. Anyone who is kind enough not to push their religion on you is doing so with the realization that they're contributing to your eternal suffering.

Enjoy your ice cream, Greebo.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I just want to point out that Greebo is still going to hell. Religious tolerance only goes so far and you can't save people from eternal damnation just because you want to respect their views. Anyone who is kind enough not to push their religion on you is doing so with the realization that they're contributing to your eternal suffering.

Enjoy your ice cream, Greebo.
I will enjoy my ice cream, thanks, and supposing I'm wrong in my beliefs, given the choice between believing in a god who would punish me for using the brain he gave me, or suffering eternal damnation for being proven wrong after having been given a rational mind in a rigged game, I'll take damnation.

I'd rather burn than worship a God who would play that kind of mind game.

So maybe I'm wrong - but if so - and your God has any justice at all - he'll understand why I was wrong and forgive me anyway.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Yeah but we're talking about a kid. That's a complicated tactic for a 7 year old to come up with.
It's not complicated for a 7 yr old to mimic the tactics of its parents and spiritual leaders, however.

I dunno if I'd attribute it to religious intolerance either, at least not so much as to the fact that 7 year olds are verbally violent, snotty, angry little creatures who haven't yet mastered the arts of sarcasm and passive aggressive abuse, along with the good manners to talk behind someone's back rather than right to their faces.
This is rather more likely the case, I agree. ;)

Reactions: Rhiamon

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I hope your child can get some rest after this encounter. Unfortunately someone must have told the other child what she stated to your daughter. Try to explain to your daughter that some people will always have a different idea or opinion from your daughter. Some people may not agree with the religion that you practice but it does not make it right or wrong. Personally, I think it is a horrible way to learn about other peoples religion.

Children can just be flat out mean. When teaching I can remember some children just being horribly mean and cruel. To the point I would not let my children if I had any play with them and I would be wondering what the parents were all about.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I will enjoy my ice cream, thanks, and supposing I'm wrong in my beliefs, given the choice between believing in a god who would punish me for using the brain he gave me, or suffering eternal damnation for being proven wrong after having been given a rational mind in a rigged game, I'll take damnation.

I'd rather burn than worship a God who would play that kind of mind game.

So maybe I'm wrong - but if so - and your God has any justice at all - he'll understand why I was wrong and forgive me anyway.
I am not a Christian, but I suppose if you want to get technical He'd be my God whether I liked it or not. I'm just pointing out that in some cases, you can't abide by the teachings of your religion and also be 'tolerant.' When I was a kid, I was taught to do the same kind of stuff that this kid did. It wasn't a choice I made to be intolerant.

G

·
It's not complicated for a 7 yr old to mimic the tactics of its parents and spiritual leaders, however.

This is rather more likely the case, I agree. ;)

I agree with this, and honestly, this is one of the reasons I struggle with religion and children. Yes, I want to raise my child with religious teachings - I don't want to just throw him to the wolves. But on the other hand, this is how a 7 year old understands religion - s/he hasn't matured fully in their reasoning. When my son was first born, we started going to church for him. We stopped going for many reasons, but one of them was the day the pastor told a story about how awesome his 6 year old son was because he was telling all his friends about Jesus and inviting them to church. I don't want my son to be like that. DH is Christian, and honestly, I lean more towards a pagan belief system. I hope I pass on enough, but not too much to my son.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Kids hear things, they interpret those things with inexperienced brains, and they spit back out whatever they think they meant. I wouldn't be too quick to assume that the parents are teaching intolerance or that there was malice intent on the part of the child. Children misunderstand a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I am not a Christian, but I suppose if you want to get technical He'd be my God whether I liked it or not. I'm just pointing out that in some cases, you can't abide by the teachings of your religion and also be 'tolerant.' When I was a kid, I was taught to do the same kind of stuff that this kid did. It wasn't a choice I made to be intolerant.
Oh, I know some Christian sects require you to go out and be as belligerent as possible. However, having been raised Christian myself (Preacher's Kid too), and having studied the Bible rather thoroughly (and more than most Christians I encounter), I've YET to find a passage that says, "And yea, Christ said unto his followers, go forth and threaten people with eternal fire if they don't believe in me."

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well if you ever want to stir up sh--,this is the subject!When people tell me I am going to hell,I tell them to look around we are all in it already.With all the horrors in the world,you just have to look at what causes a lot of them,but it still goes on.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts