Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another product of cut backs. They are now 6 packs at Walmart at about the same price as the 10 packs were. I've noticed the difference in food products but hadn't paid as much attention to non food items. Anyone else noticed other cut backs in non food products???

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Not that long ago hangers were a 12 pack for a dollar.
I remember those "good old days"............

And for whatever reason, our thrift shops have packaged just 10 shower curtain hangers in a bag for a long time..........mine (and most)
shower curtains take 12!! :thud: Don't know if they don't know this........(and I have commented)...or what....and they can have two packs, same color, side by side.........but only 10 in each.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Interesting.... just goes to show that everything is shrinking....

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Honestly, I would just prefer the prices goes up a little but the quantity per package would stay the same. It just increase packaging and I always feel like the companies are trying to be tricky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL I don't remember the last time I purchased hangers since I always seem to have a bunch of different colored, different material (plastic vs wire) hangers, ahem, hanging around the closet.

I did just purchase socks from Walmart and was disappointed with the thread count/feeling on my feet. They don't make them as thick as they used to.

·
Registered
329 Posts
wjcalderon I thought I noticed this yesterday when I was changing rolls in the bathroom. :( so since I buy 12 roll packs it looks like if yiou figured it up, I am actually now only buying 11 rolls grrr. I agree, don't try to be sneaky about it. If you are going to protect your bottom line then just raise the damn price. Don't keep trying to hide it by shrinking package size.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
One of the worst is toilet paper.
Not only are the sheets narrower,
OH YEAH.............so totally agree............and if the damn rolls
gets much narrower I will be able to get TWO ROLLS on at a time!!!

And...........I really don't know how much THINNER they can get it before they have to "legally" call it ONE PLY!! (EXCEPT ...you can now READ through the one ply...........a friend uses it!!)

Same goes for tissues................shake the box........they have cut about an inch off them..........but still use the same size box!!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I remember when candy bars cost a nickel...
:laugh:...........oh I love this game...............let's go back in time!!!

I REMEMBER when you could get 6 for 25 cents!!!! :tay:

(and there were probably more TOTAL OUNCES in TWO that you get in six today!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(if the VERY SMALL pack of 8----------that used to be 10-------gets any smaller you will just be buying paper!! It went from "snack" size to "fun" size.......and is now down to "don't worry about choking on it" size!!!!!!!!) :thud:

·
Super Moderator
19,935 Posts
I remember when cigarettes were fifty cents a pack in vending machines anyone could buy from, and that was the expensive price! I never smoked, but my dad would send me to the gas station on the corner to get him a pack when I was a little kid.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I remember getting really upset when stamps went from 25 cents to 29 cents. It was 1997 I think.

On the toilet paper issue, one thing that is helpful to the consumer here in the EU is that they have to put the weight of the toilet paper on the package. So if you know that you buy 800 grams of toilet paper for x amount of money, you're going to notice if the weight goes down or price goes up.

And for whatever reason, our thrift shops have packaged just 10 shower curtain hangers in a bag for a long time..........mine (and most)
shower curtains take 12!! Don't know if they don't know this........(and I have commented)...or what....and they can have two packs, same color, side by side.........but only 10 in each.
FrugalFranny, they know and you know it! They're the same companies who punch 12 holes in the shower curtains, and they love it when you buy two entire packages of curtain rings for each curtain.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I wonder if swiss cheese is getting more holes :lol:

I think this is rapant. Packages are small, fabrics are thinner, toliet paper rolls smaller... and I just thought my family was using more TP.

·
Super Moderator
19,935 Posts
When I got married, stamps were ten cents and that seemed expensive when it came to mailing wedding invitations. OTOH, when I think that I can put a letter in the mail and it will be carried across the country and delivered right to someone's house for me, the cost of a stamp still seems like a bargain.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do remember how cheap it was to buy candy and soda when I was a kid...a million moons ago. LOL

I was thinking today about the clothes hangers and then the price of totes. Things made of plastic have just gone up I guess. I love using totes to store Christmas and other holiday stuff but I sure don't like the prices.

·
Super Moderator
19,935 Posts
Totes are good for lots of things, for sure. And they have gone up.

We often pick up those telescoping boxes at the grocery store that they get fruit in. They're sturdy and last a long time. But some things really need a tote, I agree.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts