Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good way to remove the odour of commercial disinfectants from clothes? I'm thinking about the stuff they spray in the luggage holds of aircraft, or that they marinate used clothing in.

Washing doesn't seem to help much, not does hanging on a clothes line in the sun for a couple of days.

I have a beautiful woven Mexican hoodie that I got at a used clothing store, but it's so stinky with disinfectant that I can't go near it without my eyes and sinuses burning. It can only be washed in cold water.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hmmm....I would try hanging it out on the clothesline for a few more days. It may need more time in the fresh air to offgas. Maybe put it in a bag with a bunch of charcoal? I hope you find a solution that works.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
How about putting it in a box with a box of baking soda? Tape it up for a few days and see how it works.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Whenever we get scented clothes of any kind, I have to soak them for 3 days in Oxyclean or vinegar (I think I would try white vinegar first because of color on your item) then wash.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any specific solution yet, but I did manage to find out some more information that is starting to make sense.

The chemical that is bothering me is most likely d-phenothrin, an insecticide, which is alleged to be harmless, but known side-effects are eye and respiratory irritation, which am feeling in spades. Its use has increased considerably thanks to the bedbug scare.

It is not soluble in water, which explains the difficulty in washing it out. I am thinking that dry-cleaning may be the only way to get rid of it. Not that dry-cleaning chemicals are any less toxic, but they don't burn me the way this stuff does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts