Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never started a challenge before, but then I have never been in this situation before. Please help me with any suggestions and encouragement you might find helpful.

I recently retired from work...like, last week. My house is totally a disaster. Every room cluttered, piles of stuff everywhere... I know...very bad. But, I want to take one room at a time and clean it from top to bottom. Then, I want to get in the habit of keeping it that way. I find myself sitting and watching tv with DH or on the computer, and I keep thinking, I need to get started.

I starting with the bathroom. and just hitting each room as it comes.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to spend at least 1/2 the day cleaning, if not more, until the entire house is done.
TIA.

Reactions: Liane and Libby

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
First -
on your retirement!

This article is a good read, it may help > Get Off Your Butt: 16 Ways to Get Motivated When You’re in a Slump | Zen Habits

I had 3 weeks off this past summer and before I knew it a week was GONE by sitting on the PC and watching TV.

So what I did was limit myself. I put the timer on and when it went off after an hour, the computer was shut down! So you need to set some rules or goals for yourself. Not "have the whole house done in a week" goal. Small goals. Maybe once you reach the small goal you will continue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's good advice. I figure if it takes me a couple of months to really get through my house, that's ok. As long as I really try to get it done. I want to be able to get up in the morning, do a quick run through the house to tidy it up, then on to other projects. LOL....I'm a long way from that point, but I'm really going to try. And thanks for the recommendation of the article...will read that. :tay:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great idea with the timer Russ! Congrats on your retirement acabin. Another thing you could try is making a day schedule for yourself. If you see things written down on paper, it might help you to get things accomplished and stay organized! Enjoy your retirement! :clap:

·
19,119 Posts
Definitely - congrats on your retirement!! Now on to the rest of your life!!

Russ - love that article - have saved it for the future, but enjoyed reading it now!!

Acabin42 - you might want to join our weekly Pyramid Challenge. I've really benefitted from planning and writing things down. Since what you want to accomplish is a definite process - you do need to also schedule fun timing during each and every day.

Please let us know what and how you are doing!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I do like to work from lists. When I worked, I always made a to do today list. I am getting excited about this now... I'm sure it's going to help to have you'all in the background.:hug2:

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I challenge you to fill a single trash bag this weekend and take it to the curb. Or fill a single bag with donations to a charity resale shop.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Congrats on your retirement.
I find if I do an hour per day in one room, by weeks end things are pretty organized. With all your built up clutter, it might take a few weeks, but you won't tire of one room if you limit your time there.
I have a box in my basement for donations, when it's full I drop it off. Several boxes in the shed for Yard Sale items. Recycle bins and just plain trash. Organization leads to more organization and then there will even be time for hobbies, crafts, reading, computer, TV, etc.
Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good morning my friends! I accept your challenges!. I will spend at least one hour in the room, and will fill at least one trash bag.
I got up this morning, fixed breakfast, then GOT DRESSED, (instead of hanging around all day in my jammies). Checked the computer, made my to do list for today, and am ready to begin.

This is just what I need...thank you....will check in later.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Good luck acabin. I know you can do it. And what a sense of accomplishment you will have each and every day til it has met your satisfaction.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Break time to ask a question. A lot of my problem is clothes. I have so many clothes it's downright shameful. I wear dresses only, so I need to know how many to keep. I need house dresses, town dresses, and church dresses, but don't know how many to keep for each category....and how many for fall/winter and spring/summer.?
I'm not good at decisions.

BTW, I have 2 bags of clothes for the church yard sale, one bag for a friend to go through, 1 bag for the rag bag...... Down to my shoes in that room.... not going to keep alot, because I also have too many of them....Man, I ought to be ashamed of myself. I didn't realizse I had so much, and sure don't need it all.

going back in.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Great work acabin. If I was you, I would first sort the dresses according to season, then cut the amount by 1/3. You can always sort again later, after all you do have the time now that you are retired.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Dean. That's a good idea. I should have the bathroom done by the end of the day,except for sorting my clothes. I am going to be ruthless! Thanks!

Reactions: dean

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
First of all I am SO INCREDIBLY JEALOUS! I want to retire too.

I see you're in Arkansas, so spring is probably coming soon. For the clothes, if you have room, you could pack away all the fall and winter things for the present, and cull the spring/summer. Then in the fall, when you have the house under control, you will have more leisure to deal with them. By then you will also have more of a sense of how much you should keep. That is also the time of year when charities would probably be really happy to get any you might want to discard.

My first thought when I read your post was the same as Mauimagics - join the Weekly Pyramid Challenge. I start it just this week, and I really did get more accomplished. I had actually told someone what I intended to do, so I felt obliged to follow through on it. I didn't score a 100, but got closer than usual.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Russ, sometimes we just need a week of tv and computer. It can be frustrating in retrospect, but I've done this too on long breaks (my drugs of choice are usually jigsaw puzzles, very light books, and computer). I'm always annoyed with myself, but then I try to be realistic and admit that if all I wanted to do was sit comotose, probably I was really really tired and it was, on the whole, good for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you dcompton.... You are right. I will pack away the fall and winter clothes for now, and go through the spring and summer. See, so simple....why didn't I think of that?

I will think about joining the weekly pyramid challenge. It is more accountability.. :thanx:

thank you so much. Think I am basically done for today, except for finding a box to pack some clothes away.

Tomorrow is church....then, we'll see.

As far as being retired....well, it was mostly due to health issues. I have congestive heart failure, and it became hard to work a full day at full speed without getting out of breath. Had to take a lot of breaks of slowing down to get it all done. However, I have worked so many years, I feel like I'm in limbo here. Now, my house and life is priority, and I just have to get through it. That's why I want to thank all of you for your help.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your retirement was for health reasons -- that's not the way anyone wants to have to retire. It will doubtless take a while to adjust to the slower pace and leisure.

When, if, I ever retire, my mantra will be: I'm retired - I don't have to do anything I don't want to! (Well, except maybe wash the dishes.)

Congrats on what you accomplished today.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Russ, sometimes we just need a week of tv and computer. It can be frustrating in retrospect, but I've done this too on long breaks (my drugs of choice are usually jigsaw puzzles, very light books, and computer). I'm always annoyed with myself, but then I try to be realistic and admit that if all I wanted to do was sit comotose, probably I was really really tired and it was, on the whole, good for me.
I know. But tell me why I felt so guilty? :thinking:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would get a notebook and make a page for every room. On it list what to do in that room--be specific. Then as the chores get done (or not ) you can see progress and it will spur you forward. This helps me.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I can try that!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts