Frugal Village Forums banner

replacing burnt candles

990 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  rosey7415 
#1 ·
I got a bunch of small candles from the store for less than a dollar each. They will get their use but I do not want to throw away the containers after the candles have burned.

What can I do to either:

A) remake the wax candle part and have a new candle. If so, where can I get materials cheaply? Would it be a good idea to melt down old crayons?

b) resue the containers they come in for another purpose (i.e. tiny flower pot.)

I really am trying not to throw things away anymore.

#2 ·
I pop the old wax out and store it till I have enough to spend a day making candles, sometimes this is 1-2 years of saving because I make myself lots of candles at one time ~ one mess to clean up!

The easiest way to get the wax out is to put the whole thing in the freezer for 10-20 mins then use a utensil to crack the wax and it should just fall out.

#4 ·
that's exactly what i do...you can get a package of wicks at the craft store..... i just melt them in an old can (tomato juice can is what i use) in a pot of boiling water...then pour them into pringles cans or soy milk containers (both cut down)... give it about 3-4 mins...push the wick down into the center and place two knives laying across the top of the can on both sides of the wick to hold it in place.... let cool...pop or cut it out & viola...new candle....

we burn candles everynight here so we get lots of leftovers...and i always buy cheap 'disgusting' looking candles that everyone passes over at garage sales & thrift stores for next to nothing (sometimes people are so happy to see me pick them up they say take-em please) lol....melt em down...start over...

also if you keep your candles in the freezer before burning they burn slower and last longer.....(and it takes up more space in your freezer....super efficient for both).....

#3 ·
Wax from old candle, head to Michaels crat store and buy new wick.

I melt mine in the microwave in a glass bowl, then pour and let dry.

Most of the contianers I either recycle or put in yard sale freebie box. I've also given away large lots of them on Craigslist. I personally try to limit my clutter unless I have a true need for it.

#6 ·
I save the wax and use old milk cartons to make new candles. The wicks come in different sizes for different diameter candles. When I use a 2 litre milk container I put in 3 1" wicks.

I put the wick down with a metal tab to hold it in place. Tie the top to a chopstick. then pour in the wax. Let cool. Fill in the spot that sank. Let cool again. Slip out of the mold and use.

I don't bother to polish the candle when it comes out, but I'm sure you could take the time to if you wanted. And while you can use crayon wax for colouring the candle, it isn't really the right stuff for burning. Real candle wax has additives in it to make it burn cleaner and more efficiently.

good luck!

#7 ·
for the candles that come in glass jars.....i use it as much as i can then take out what is leftover to remelt. i wash the jars out. then i put a tall white or offwhite taper candle in the middle and hold it while i am pouring the melted wax back in jar. when done i use scotch tape to make a square around the taper so when it finishes hardening up it will stay upright. just keep checking it. i didn't want to do the whole new wick....start from scratch thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.