Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I'm one step closer to canceling my cable... I signed up for a free trial for Netflix ($8/ mo) that works with the WII and gives us free movies and older TV shows on our TV! I love it! It's so easy to use! We have a $50 entertainment budget so I think $8 will be ok. We are currently paying $99 for cable, internet & phone. Internet only will be $50/ mo. So it will be a total savings of $41 before adding the cost of a phone. (I do not have a cell phone, DH will be canceling his this month). We are still looking at internet phone options.

DH currently rents from Redbox at $1/movie... so now he can save the gas to get there, and the worry about returning it on time - AND we can watch on our TV instead of our 5 year old laptop!

Now, if only I can get hulu on our TV... Given our 5 year old computer, I'm not sure that Hulu is going to work through our TV? I think the quality of the picture on your TV comes from your computer?

Does anyone know how this works?

Or should I just cancel it all and rent movies from the library? (we live in a small town and our library is so small and very limited...).

I don't know why this change frustrates me the most. We are also considering moving to a less expensive rental when our lease is up next month, so we may have different options available.

·
Registered
667 Posts
We got rid of cable about a month to a month in a half ago.

What we did was buy a $10 digital antenna because we had nothing to watch basic channels.

We did have netflix and a few things with that are... We have watched shows and movies over the internet but not hooked to our tv, because we have a mac and need parts to do that. We have gotten movies from netflix but I still don't know that we're using it to it's potential. I may drop our account to a lower price since we seem to watch more movies and shows online. Or I might just get rid of it.

We use the library a lot now. The library is awesome for movies and shows. At least ours is. Just need to remember to bring the movies back by 7 days or we get charged. So far haven't had any problems with that.

Hulu. Love it. Again, we watch it online and not on our TV. I don't mind at all. Daughter doesn't seem to mind. Husband maybe minds a bit as we have a big tv and he enjoys watching it. Laugh.

By doing this, we saved ourselves $140! If I get rid of or lower netflix we'll save another $18 or less.

I'm happier without cable than I was with it. It was expensive and really I didn't watch it much.

We're so thankful for PBS these days!!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Make sure your internet is truly unlimited. We're battling that now...Netflix isn't our problem but it's a drainage. I'd double check first with the company.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
i dropped Directv about 3 months ago and got Netflix. When I pay off all my debts, then I may consider Directv--basic only. I watched the same old reruns. So.....I am not missing Directv.

I hope you find out how to connect to get hulu.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Make sure your internet is truly unlimited. We're battling that now...Netflix isn't our problem but it's a drainage. I'd double check first with the company.
I agree with this. Double and triple check that there is no bandwidth cap on your internet service, or you could end up paying outrageous fees for excessive downloading. Get a copy of your internet contract in writing (usually they can be printed out from the company website) so that you have it on hand if any dispute over the amount of your usage should arise.

I know netflix has been having trouble getting started in Canada because all of the major ISPs have bandwidth caps unless you're on an older grandfathered plan.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get a Roku box. It streams Netflix, and will shortly be streaming Hulu Plus, plus a rather large selection of other content.
Interesting, but since I am watching Netflix through my Wii, I think i will hold off for now... I wonder if the Wii will get Hulu Plus?

I will also check the bandwith issue... our internet comes from our cable company so i would not be surprised if they start increasing internet fees if enough people are dropping them.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had to drop cable when I was told I was getting laid off and at first I missed it horribly! I have now gotten used to it.

I bought a $30 digital antenna that gets me locals in digital quality. I also watch Hulu and have the Netflix through the Wii and online.

One of the issues I was having with Netflix was that my wireless network adapter in my Wii wasn't able to cope with the streaming. I purchased a wired network adapter for it yesterday for $20 at bestbuy and that seems to have fixed the issue.

Also, just a suggestion, but you may want to check into the competition for your internet and don't be afraid to call your ISP and ask for a better rate to keep you from switching.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
We are dropping cable TV today. We have a digital digital antenna that we got for free when they were first offered. Hubby stops at the RedBox to and from work to rent/return $1 movies.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, there are so many options... does a digital antennae always work? I thought there was a recent change to make these not work? so confusing!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good thing I checked this website:

TV Fool

Turns out there is only one channel available at my house (one more if we put it on the roof!). Not surprised - we are living in the country!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good for you. 18 months ago I went down to the Basic cable package w/no regrets. I played around w/antennas & digital converter boxes on my 3 TV's & could not get any reception. I tried hanging the antenna,etc....no luck and I am also in a slightly rural area. Only way to get some reception was to keep basic cable. Also if I went to broadband internet only, they jacked up the monthly price of the internet service ( of course they do!).

I have $9 monthly Netflix & between that, the Roku box to watch shows streamed onto TV & Hulu online, there are tons of shows to watch & I am not paying cable company another $50 a month. I doubt I will pay for the Hulu plus for now. For the most part I just put my laptop on the coffee table & watch shows that way,but I did spend $15 for an s-cord to hook laptop to TV to watch shows.So that may be an option for you. I have yet to get an audio cord to hook up the sound to the TV.

Hopefully my favorite shows I watch online for free will stay that way!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have basic cable, verizon fios internet, and basic phone service. Combined I pay about $75.00 a month. I tried the converter box and digital antennae but it really brought lousy reception. I did keep the converter box just in case. Figure you can never be to prepared now a days. I think the fact that I am right near a utility switching station also affects the reception.

Down grading the cable at first seemed scary, but I really do not miss it since I can watch hulu or go to channel websites to watch shows. Plus I have lessened the amount of time I watch tv so it really does not make sense to have a bunch of channels that won't be watched.

It will be interesting to see what happens with all the tv services now that people are catching on that they can watch shows on the computer. I was thinking about hulu plus but decided I really did not need it now.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Now, if only I can get hulu on our TV... Given our 5 year old computer, I'm not sure that Hulu is going to work through our TV? I think the quality of the picture on your TV comes from your computer?

Does anyone know how this works?
The box to do that on your TV is called Roku. google it at roku.com

Reactions: marjorie

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I finally got nerve to cancel cable last week. I was planning on returning the box, and cable was still on - until this Sunday morning when the cable guy showed up collect the box - hours before the football game starts. DH is not a football fanatic, and only watches one team... but I think I saw a tear in his eye. I feel like a terrible wife.

Since when do cable guys work on sunday's??

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Well, I finally got nerve to cancel cable last week. I was planning on returning the box, and cable was still on - until this Sunday morning when the cable guy showed up collect the box - hours before the football game starts. DH is not a football fanatic, and only watches one team... but I think I saw a tear in his eye. I feel like a terrible wife.
Give him some lovin'. It usually helps me to forget the bad stuff.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ha ha thanks for the advice :)
Thankfully, when he was able to "find" over 50 channels (including cbs) on the TV for free! I have no idea how that works, especially since we live in the country, but I'm not complaining!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We are phasing out cable in favor of internet and broadcast TV.

We were paying $120 per month for cable. Turned in one DVR, a cablecard, and cut off one package deal. Saved $30 per month. Used that savings to buy a ROKU (check out roku.com) and sign up for Netflix streaming for $8 per month.

Next step, canceling expanded cable and turning in the second DVR. Saves another $30 or so. We'll use that savings to buy a high quality digital antenna ($100 but pulls in stations up to 50 miles away, got a $40 discount on it) and sign up for Hulu Pluss for $8 per month.

If all that works out, we'll cancel basic cable, which would save another $60 per month, but they will likely increase our internet by $20 per month, so we'll only save $40 per month. The limit for our cable is 250 GB per month and we probably won't exceed that.

So total cost for cable TV now: $120/month
Cost once we switch to internet only plus Netflix and Hulu and broadcast TV: $36/month plus $120 one time setup costs.

Sounds good, eh?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.