Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my old faithful Samsung microwave since DD1 was a bub... I think it was late 1997 I bought it.

Anyway the paint (I guess it's paint) inside has died a slow and paintful death, and now cleaning it just isn't possible without taking off more and more. I think after 12 years the plate wheels have just worn it out. So the time has come that I will admit defeat and say it has to be replaced.... although does it?

Is it possible to have the interior of a microwave 'redone'? Or are they something that are dead once that paint starts pealing? Apart from the paint issue it runs like a champion!

No I'm not showing you LOL It's horrible since I haven't been able to clean it properly!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Lowe's (and other home improvement stores) have appliance paint. It's the same stuff the manufacturer puts on it. If you love it that much, it might be worth a try to try to re-paint it.

Although, I'll tell you, I just had the same trouble about a week and a half ago. The paint wore off on mine so bad (it was about the same age) that the metal shown through and the thing started sparking while it was running. Scared the bejesus out of me!

So, I went to target, and got a great deal on a new one. The girl said they were clearing out the 2008's to get ready for the new ones. So if you decide to buy now, you might still be able to find a deal. I got a $180 microwave for $94.

But you could try the appliance paint, if you really wanted to salvage the old one! I don't know why it wouldn't work!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think I would replace it. You never know if those pieces of paint are getting in to your food. The costs of replacement isn't much, they have them on sale a lot at wal mart. I really think you could be getting tiny pieces of paint, it isn't worth taking the chance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm too true about the paint flecks.

I'll have a look next time I'm over at the larger shopping centre.

Thanks for the opinions :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Being cheap, I'd first check with a reliable appliance repair shop for more information, as well as giving Samsung a call.

We replaced the used microwave we bought in 1979 (and it's still being used at our son's) with a Sharp Convection/Microwave. I can bake a loaf of bread in it in 20-minutes and NO preheating (2 loaves in 25-minutes). What a money-saver it is in the baking department.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would be nervous about the paint issues also inside my microwave. Also I thought appliance paint was for the exterior of the appliance but things are changing everyday. I think like momto2boyz said there are some great deals to be had right now and it will probably be more expensive to repair than buy new with a warranty.

Good Luck 12 years is pretty good now days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts