Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to make a long story short here...lol

I've been at the same company for 22 years and at my current job in HR for 9 of those years. I love my job, but spend most of my time processing paperwork and providing customer service for those ee's who go on medical leave. I do other things as well, but the leaves take up a great bulk of my time. I've been going to school for the past 5 years and am about to receive my bachelor's degree in HR management. I plan to go on to get a master's degree in organizational psychology.

Today (for the umpteenth time it seems) I asked for a position upgrade so I can expand my current job duties and use my talents in ways that better suit the company. In essence, I was told that this would be next to impossible because I work in a union environment (keep in mind I have seen dozens of other employees get position upgrades throughout the years, many of them in my own department and some of them very recently).

I was pretty much floored and heartbroken when I was told "no" in essence. Of course they put it back in my ball court and said I need to see where I can automate some things and make it easier for me to do additional things and then they could probably (maybe) justify it. Keep in mind there is no budget to automate things properly.

At first I was very angry, upset and crying (after the meeting when I was alone).....but you know what, I take it as a blessing now. I feel like God is just shutting this particular door and another door will be opened in the future. It tells me that I won't always be at my current position and have better things to look forward to in life! I am pigeon-holed for now, but look out baby, there are better things in store!!!

Thank you for listening.....it has been such a big deal for me and I just needed to vent!!!

Andrea

·
Registered
382 Posts
In a weird way this reminds me of my divorce from my first husband. I cried all the time and would sit in church and silently "yell' at God praying that he would just bring my husband back to me (he was the one who left) and I just couldnt see why God wouldnt care enough to see my pain and put my marriage back together. Fast forward 7 years and I was remarried with a beautiful baby daughter and I used to sit and rock her to sleep and cry and tell God how thankful I was and I would just think "thank you Lord for letting that marriage fail. I am so grateful because if it hadnt I wouldnt have had this" God also blessed us with a little boy 3 years ago. I was so upset about the door closing but now that I can see what God was moving me toward I wouldnt change a thing :) He's got something good in mind for you :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for sharing your story, Heather! What an incredible story, too.....God has certainly blessed you with your current husband and children, and I am SO happy for you!!! :)

It's so strange when God gives a definitive "no" answer before a new door has opened. It's kind of a "limbo" feeling, but I am just keeping my eyes and ears open for the next stage of my life.

Thank you again, Heather......you have helped reaffirm my belief that there is something greater waiting for me..... :)

Love,
Andrea

·
Registered
66 Posts
God does answer all prayers ...just might not be the answer we want....but he does know what is best for us...you have worked hard to get your degree instead of just hanging on to what sounds like a dead end job you want something better and I pray that will get it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Couple questions...

Is the company paying for the tuition or are you doing it on your own? Are there any stipulations that you have to work for them for "x" amount of time related to the tuition, if so?

I'm assuming you are not actually union, correct? If you are not union, than it being a union shop would be irrelevant to your request, to my mind. If you are union, perhaps you should talk to your shop steward.

Rather than being upset, I would be thankful that you know the answer now and can start laying the groundwork to transition somewhere more suited to your skills and degree once you have graduated. You've got time for planning and networking now.

·
19,119 Posts
How neat to look forward to whatever is in store for you!! I agree that this limbo time is a bit challenging, but it is also a time to be thankful and get ready for the next turn in our lives!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marie, to answer your questions.....yes, the company pays a small amount of tuition assistance each year ($1,500 max) and there are no stipulations except a passing grade. Also, I am in a supervisory union and pay dues, but the union is pretty weak. It does help me plan for the future though as you pointed out.

The only thing keeping me here at this time is the fact that I could possibly get an early retirement in 3 years and I could definitely retire with full medical benefits/pension in 8 years. It doesn't make sense to make a move to another company until DH graduates from law school in 3 years, so it's a "wait and see" at this point with the retirement. I've been with the company for 22 years.

Thank you all for your feedback.....it helps!

Andrea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Marie, to answer your questions.....yes, the company pays a small amount of tuition assistance each year ($1,500 max) and there are no stipulations except a passing grade. Also, I am in a supervisory union and pay dues, but the union is pretty weak. It does help me plan for the future though as you pointed out.

The only thing keeping me here at this time is the fact that I could possibly get an early retirement in 3 years and I could definitely retire with full medical benefits/pension in 8 years. It doesn't make sense to make a move to another company until DH graduates from law school in 3 years, so it's a "wait and see" at this point with the retirement. I've been with the company for 22 years.

Thank you all for your feedback.....it helps!

Andrea
What is the cost benefit analysis for the BA and MA? If you are 3 years away from retirement, will your future employment potentially cover the money spent gaining the degree?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.