Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently become 'hooked' on the Nalleys' Elite Cukes.........and would like to grow my own.

They are a nice TINY little cucumber. Would love to pickle some.

Has anyone seen these seeds? Have you tried them?

If you have tried them,......which one?.......what sort of luck did you have?

I plan to look around on-line for some today........I know our stores don't carry them.

It would take a LOT of them to fill a jar but want to try it. Think I would do it in pints.

·
Registered
11,014 Posts
I have never heard of this brand and I don't know what variety they use, BUT... what you want is anything that says it is a pickling cucumber. Pick the cukes while they are tiny. That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Cucumber Seeds | Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

You want Solly Beiler Cucumber ( a cucumber grown by the Amish) , the very best if you can find them . I noticed Baker Creek rare seeds are out. But if you can find them, they grow as the best pickling cucumber you can come by, and grow the size you want for a copy cat of that particular store brand

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I concur. Just grow LOTS of hills of a variety you like, and pick them when they're the size you want.
They won't give me enough at one time..........and won't be ripe enough to pick when teeny tiny. Also, don't want to have 'lots of hills'..........would take too many.

I want a gherkin type........but most of them say 'plump'.....don't want plump.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cucumber Seeds | Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

You want Solly Beiler Cucumber ( a cucumber grown by the Amish) , the very best if you can find them . I noticed Baker Creek rare seeds are out. But if you can find them, they grow as the best pickling cucumber you can come by, and grow the size you want for a copy cat of that particular store brand
Thanks HP----I was on heirloom seeds yesterday but that are not taking any more orders at this time.

Going to a 'seed store' that I haven't checked...........may just try a gherkin pickling............see how they do ....they should mature at a faster rate......but will keep checking online too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.