Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know someone or have this? I have had times in the past that I have been bothered by it. Most of the time just a bit when I am trying to go to sleep. For the last several nights I have lost a lot of sleep over this. My legs just feel so wierd and I have to move them. Last night my dh finally said "Will you please quit moving!!!" I got up and tossed and turned in my ds room. He was away for the night. I think I was at it until 3 in the morning. I went to bed at 10:30 or so.

I am tired today, but have not taken a nap hoping that I will be dog tired tonight. I have spent part of the day reading up on this. I hope this passes soon.

Do you ever feel like it is just one thing after another? I just had the skin cancer thing, kidney stones, ect..... I don't even like to tell my family if something is bothering me anymore and just tough it out. I have told dh. The kids would probably just roll thier eyes and think "What now."

Sorry for the rant. This getting older stuff argh. I know the alternative so no need to mention it :)!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My DH has it bad! He also has the twitching component which makes me crazy ~ I don't think I've had a full night's sleep in years.

He does take requip for the RLS and it helps tons but he still has nights that he is constantly moving. The requip does nothing for the twitching. I've noticed that it's much worse on the days he exercises which is 5 days out of 7. I don't know how he sleeps at all but he manages to. About twice a month or so he has to get up because it's bothering him, too.

Mention it at your next doctor appt ~ I'm sure your doctor can help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Along with the other illnesses, conditions and diseases I have, I also have RLS. I often fall asleep on my belly, leg bent so that my foot is in the air and I swirl it in the air. DH says I also raise my leg while sleeping and swirl it in circles on bad nights.

For really bad nights, I walk around the house for relief. Sometimes just moving to the recliner or couch helps. Then, there are times I don't sleep at all. Sometimes I fill the tub to the top with hot water, lay in there and doze off. Yes, I sleep in a tub full of water, been doing it since I was a kid. The water covers my entire body with the exception of the area right around my eyes, mouth and nose. I sleep until the water cools off to the point that it wakes me. By then, I have gotten enough relief that I can get back into bed and sleep, most times.

If I am having a rough night, I won't stay in bed with DH. He works, I don't. I can sleep all day if I want. I don't feel right keeping him awake.

Often, I can tell around 2 or 3 in the afternoon if I am going to have a rough night. I get a tingly feeling in feet and calves.

I don't take medication for it because I am already on enough pills and shots as it is. I refuse to add any more medicines to my list unless it is just absolutely necessary.

Reactions: jas

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This stuff is not fun at all! I too will leave dh in peace as he has to work and I don't. I don't know what people do if they have to get up to go to work in the morning.

·
2,688 Posts
Reactions: jas

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I deal with this when I am overly tired.......
drives me crazy

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Ugh, I hate when this happens. I just have to get up and stretch or walk around. It seems to happen when I'm overly tired too.

ETA, when it's bad I have used the heating pad.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
DH has it bad. He has twitched for years. His whole family rubs their legs together like grasshoppers. Since his accident where he wrecked his leg up he body twitched and rocks the bed. Nancy,I haven't slept in years unless he's on a business trip. Add the snoring and I will take one of the kids' rooms when they leave.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have RLS and took the test at the hospital last year where I stayed overnight and hooked up to all kinds of monitors. My doctor put me on meds and have slept so much better.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I have had this throughout my pregnancy, but my mother and her sisters also have it. One thing that they find helps to relieve it is -- get this -- Powerade. One of the reasons some people get RLS is because of an imbalance in their electrolytes (several have said they get it after they exercise, which is when your electrolytes would be unbalanced). Try drinking Powerade or some other drink that would help balance your electrolytes and it might help out. Also, warm baths and warm milk will help your muscles relax after a hard day. Try that and see if it helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have RLS and took the test at the hospital last year where I stayed overnight and hooked up to all kinds of monitors. My doctor put me on meds and have slept so much better.
Believe me I hope this passes on its own. If it does not what Kind of meds are you on. They all sound like they have bad side effects.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had this throughout my pregnancy, but my mother and her sisters also have it. One thing that they find helps to relieve it is -- get this -- Powerade. One of the reasons some people get RLS is because of an imbalance in their electrolytes (several have said they get it after they exercise, which is when your electrolytes would be unbalanced). Try drinking Powerade or some other drink that would help balance your electrolytes and it might help out. Also, warm baths and warm milk will help your muscles relax after a hard day. Try that and see if it helps. Good luck!
In the reading I have done it does seem that pregnancy can bring it on in women. And also like you said iron many have a link to it. It is something to try the powerade since it can be dangerous to add iron just willy nilly I have read that anyway. Thanks

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I think I have it and my mom thinks she has it, too. It used to bother me more often than it does now, I'm not sure why, but I can't stand it when they are acting up.

What was it you heard about iron? Is it a deficiency of iron that makes it worse? Just wondering, because now that I think of it, I haven't noticed my legs bothering me for quite a while, and I do take a daily iron supplement (I have really heavy periods).

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: sahm2boys

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I have it and my mom thinks she has it, too. It used to bother me more often than it does now, I'm not sure why, but I can't stand it when they are acting up.

What was it you heard about iron? Is it a deficiency of iron that makes it worse? Just wondering, because now that I think of it, I haven't noticed my legs bothering me for quite a while, and I do take a daily iron supplement (I have really heavy periods).
Here is one site that has info on it. It is under the heading causes of RLS.

Restless Legs Syndrome Fact Sheet: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I definitely would have taken the nap the next day, because I know that I only get worse the more tired I get. So the second night would have been absolutely unbearable.

When I was pregnant it was like 9 months of torture, by the end I even had it in my arms. I ended up staying up all night and sleeping all day. For some reason daytime sleep is easier. I've read that there is some tie-in with your circadian rhythm and that the intensification at night is independent your actual sleep patterns.

If I get it early in the evening, which is rare, a glass of coke helps. That is not officially recommended, but it was suggested to me by a parkinson researcher and it works for me.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have had it for 4 years and have taken ropinirole (generic); requip is name brand. I have had no side effects from it and it works fantastic. If I forget to take it (I do sometimes because I call it one of my non-life threating drugs). I notice it when I sit down. I don't know about all of you, but I would not do without the meds. IMO they are worth it!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts