Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw someone elsewhere mention the little reusable dryer balls that help 'fluff' the clothes and supposedly help to reduce drying time. Does anyone use them? Are they really a good 'hack' or just a gimmick?

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
not sure about "fluffing" but I doubt they reduce drying time. It takes a certain amount of energy (gas or electric) to evaporate a certain amount of water from your clothes. This is why they never had (until recently) Energy Star ratings for dryers.

·
Registered
671 Posts
We use them. Not really sure if they do anything. We own them, keep them in the dryer & just use them out of habit I guess. Can't give you any stats, but I do think the towels benefit.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, folks. Sounds like a lot of hot air (ha ha) and we'll skip them.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I think it did get the clothes and towels "fluffier". But, they made such a racket that we stopped using them pretty quickly. Our washer and dryer are in the kitchen and we have a tiny house. I don't know if they make the clothes dry faster or not.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I was going to give them a try once, but I heard they are noisy. We live in a condo. We can hear the washer and dryer from the front room. Normally it is a background hum that is tolerable.

But I remember when my son went through a goth phase. Lots of metal bits on the clothes. They were NOISY in the wash and dryer. It really made me feel tense and irritable. We made them do his own laundry - before we got home from work.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have homemade felted wool dryer balls. Not exactly sure if they actually work, but I use them. they're SUPPOSED to work if you use quite a few of them, the wool soaks up the dampness. They make some noise, but not bad, since they are soft. They kinda thunk around. They were easy to make, I should make some more seeing as I lost most of them somehow when we moved. Buy felted yarn (must be felted kind) when it goes on sale. Wrap tight balls about the size of a hardball, wrap them in a nylon stocking (tie knots in between each ball or they will felt together), put in the washer, dryer, then wash and dry again. I've had mine for 4 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts