Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little back story first. My boyfriend and I live in an apartment and our tap water is decent enough to drink but we prefer filtered. We buy cases of Poland Spring water at BJ's Wholesale Club and he takes 2 bottles every day to work with him. He typically only drinks one bottle and then during the day refills it with filtered water at work. I myself drink 1 bottle a day and then usually other liquids OR i add about 1 ounce of juice (whatever is in the fridge) to tap water and drink it. We own a Brita pitcher and buy the filters whenever we can get a good sale price but that isn't often. We haven't had a Brita filter since July. For the last year I've been looking at water bottles that come with the filter already inside them. At first I had my mind set on a Brita one but then I found dozens of other brands so i weeded through them looking for what was best for me. I have ended up on a Camelbak Groove bottle. I did the math and it comes out extremely cheaper to buy the filters for it than it does to buy bottled water. Even with the cost of the bottle initially (25.00 a bottle), it's still a better deal in the long run. Here's my breakdown.

1 case of water
32 Bottles (16.9 ounces per bottle)
$4.49
$.14 per bottle
$.008 per ounce (16.9oz bottle)

1 pack of filters for bottle
6 Filters (300 fills per 20 ounce bottle)
26.75 (that price includes tax)
$.01 per bottle (.01486111 to be exact)
$.00074306 per bottle 20oz bottle
$.00087936 per 16.9oz bottle

Does my math look right? LOL. Now it's quite possible that it's all screwy since I suck at math but I'm thinking even if i'm off somehow, it's still a better deal for the reusable bottles than store bought ones we throw away. PLUS the Camelbak filters are mostly plant based material (made partially of coconuts) and so instead of throwing away whole plastic bottles we'll be throwing away a small filter.

Does anyone else use a filtered bottle? If so, what brand? Any suggestions??

I specifically am looking for filtered bottles, we can't attach anything to our sink and we don't like the filtered pitcher that much.

Groove® .6L | Camelbak Official Store
camelbak.jpg

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
What about getting a reverse osmisis filter? We bought one a zillion years ago. It was like $200ish back then. The last time we checked, they hadn't gone up too much more than that. We buy a new filter for it every few years. The new filter is about $100 for our system. We are also on a well and I know that affects things.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that something you hook up to your sink? Like under the sink? Because we live in an apartment like I mentioned and we can't attach anything like that. Sounds like a good idea though for when we move eventually.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
This isn't a bottle. It's a Zerowater pitcher (sorry I did read what you said but love our pitcher's shape). We love it. I just pour the water into reusable bottles for my kids when they go to practice.

Attachments

Reactions: Rhayne

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Not sure what to add except the Brita refillable water bottle design from eons ago was horrible. You had to squeeze really hard & suck hard to get any water out through the filter. I wonder if the new generation is easier to use?

We use a Brita pitcher and just refill our reusable bottles. I'm not quite sure how to do the math breakdown for you but when I buy them, I go to Costco.

Costco 6 for $25 or WalMart 3 for $20.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
DH did attach an extra tap on the sink, but you didn't have to. Since we own our home, we haven't looked into the other tap options.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ya'll. I looked into the reverse osmosis filter and it looks like a good idea for when we move. But for now I found the camelbak bottles and filters on amazon for cheap (roughly 17.00 each) and a 6 pack of filters for 18. I also have a 20 dollar amazon giftcard so it'll be roughly 32 dollars in total.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts