Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rice & Bean Casserole

Recipe Description
This recipe doubles easily and freezes well. It's popular at potlucks, too :)
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz, or 1.5 cups cooked from dry beans)
1 can diced tomatoes with chilis (15 oz)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup salsa
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (reduced fat is OK)
2 cups shredded cheese (I use cheddar or jack; reduced fat is OK)
1 small red onion, chopped​
Serves:
Directions:
Mix rice, beans, tomatoes, corn, salsa, sour cream, onion, and 1 cup cheese in a large bowl.

Spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and fill with the rice mixture.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese and bake another 10 minutes or run it under the broiler until the cheese melts.

You can eat it as-is, or wrap it in a tortilla for a tasty burrito.​

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thanks for posting this recipe. I have been wanting to try to have 3 nights a week as meatless meals and this will be a great main dish.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
This sounds very good. Thanks for sharing; I am going to add it to my list of recipes to try. :chef2:

Oh, a question...do you think pinto or kidney beans would work just as well? I like the texture of those better than black beans. :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, a question...do you think pinto or kidney beans would work just as well? I like the texture of those better than black beans. :)
It would be fine to use whatever kind of beans you like best.

I wish I could edit the recipe to note that any kind of beans would be fine. Maybe I'll make a suggestion.

Reactions: Marie78

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
It would be fine to use whatever kind of beans you like best.

I wish I could edit the recipe to note that any kind of beans would be fine. Maybe I'll make a suggestion.
I agree that editing would be ideal :yes:

However, in the meantime, you could quote the recipe and add that note in the new message (underneath the quoted part). :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks for posting the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This sounds sooo yummy!
Black beans are probably my favorite bean, so I'm always super excited to see a new bl.bean recipe.

I can see eating this as a dip with tortilla chips, like you mentioned, in a wrap, all sorts of things.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!!:applause:

**Oh & to the other Michelle-Pinto beans would probably be super yummy in this as well.:hungry:
Anytime I think Mexican food, I think pintos or bl. beans.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
That really sounds delcious! I'll check the pantry, and whatever I'm missing, I'll pick up at the store! Healthy for the whole family and good for my diabetes!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
This sounds fantastic! What a great idea to have for lunch for the week. I have all the ingredients, just need to cook my rice. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Mix rice, beans, tomatoes, corn, salsa, sour cream, onion, and 1 cup cheese in a large bowl.

Spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and fill with the rice mixture.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese and bake another 10 minutes or run it under the broiler until the cheese melts.

You can eat it as-is, or wrap it in a tortilla for a tasty burrito.
Made this for dinner tonight; DELICIOUS!!! Thanks

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My hubby would flip over this. He adores rice & beans. The kids turn their noses up at it, but the wrap thing, cheese, and sour cream, just might change their minds. I love anything in a wrap too!

Thanks for posting!

Theresa :)

meant to ask...do you know if this freezes well? TY

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
This sounds like what I'm looking for. I recently had the TexMex eggrolls from Grinders and loved them and this sounds really close to what was in them. I think I'll try this out and do it in the tortilla. I have everything except sour cream.

Cat

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'm going to make this tonight or tomorrow night :yes:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I've got this in the oven now, and it smells so good. Can't wait to try it.

I used pinto beans, yellow onion, and skipped the tomatoes. :chef2:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
This recipe is a keeper. Delicious :lip:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I wish I had more! It was really good, and Dave isn't much of a bean eater, but he really liked it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Oh man, I just seen this and that looks fantastic!!Thanks, Katy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts