Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Superstore has a rice cooker for sale this week. I bought rice last week that needs a rice cooker to cook in in order for it to be good. Has anyone bought a rice cooker and found it to be a really good investment?

The rice cooker I'm eyeing is $40. I'd be pulling the $40 from my Slush Fund.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I love mine and use it almost daily. You don't have to buy special rice for cookers. They cook just about anything. I cook wild rice, rice mixes, long-grain, and short-grain rice in mine. Everything comes out perfect every time!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I had one, got rid of it in a major downsizing, and wish I hadn't. It's really the only way to cook brown rice well.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think y'all have convinced me. I really do want to start eating more rice (I loooooove sticky rice with homemade Chinese food) and it was a big part of my weight loss routine last year. Superstore sells basmati and jasmine and sweet rice in bulk, hence my desire to move away from white rice and into these types.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've always wanted one too. Sounds like a good buy!

thank you.

·
19,119 Posts
I think every home in Hawaii has at least one (different sizes depending on events). Can cook a lot of things in it - ask any college student from Hawaii going to school on the mainland - standard issue to them.

Be sure to get the right size. We have a 10 cup for when we are entertaining or going to be using a lot of rice or making sushi.

Our day to day rice cooker is a 4 cup. We make 3-4 cups at a time, storing leftovers in the frig and heating up in the microwave as needed.

Makes our life easier for sure!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah. There not that expensive and make perfect rice every time (which I didn't) so no wasted food. I can buy non instant rice and have now cooked,Jasmine, Basmati,yellow and brown rices. These are so much better for you than instant. When I bulk cook for teens,Imay make 4/5 dinners at once and have a gallon bag of rice they can grab out of. This lowers my stress when busy. I would get 2 if I had a bigger family. Oh, and its quick too.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Most rice freezes really well, too. I cook up a batch in my 3-4 cup cooker, then freeze several batches out of it and just nuke as needed. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I love rice but cant cook it worth a darn! Its never done all the way! I had thought about getting a rice cooker but I am the only one in the house that eats rice, so I dont know if I should get one or should I just suffer with hard rice?!

If you get one, let me know if you love it, I just may get one for myself!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I love mine too!! Perfect rice everytime with practically no effort on my part.

·
19,119 Posts
I love rice but cant cook it worth a darn! Its never done all the way! I had thought about getting a rice cooker but I am the only one in the house that eats rice, so I dont know if I should get one or should I just suffer with hard rice?!

If you get one, let me know if you love it, I just may get one for myself!

You definitely deserve one!!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Great post!! I've been looking at rice cookers. I see them at GW all the time. Guess it's time for me to look for a 4 cup one there.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have had two rice cookers in my life time and hated them both. I find they over cook the rice. Hubby and I both prefer the rice I cook in a regular pot on the stove.

Plus it was just one more thing to find a place for on the counter top or in the cabinets.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I absolutely love my rice cooker - it's super easy to use, I can start rice before I leave for work in the morning and the rice always turns out PERFECT! Leftovers are good with eggs and sausage for breakfast, and also good for using in fried rice for another meal. Rice is a great meal stretcher!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I love, love my rice cooker. I got mine at the chinese grocery, it's the kind that they use in the chinese restaurants around here. They make the best rice and yes, I use sticky rice as well. Every time I have people over for dinner, they want me to make rice!

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I just cook my jasmine rice in a pot on the stove. I have my method down so that I never get hard rice!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts