419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rice Crispy Treats

6 cups crispy rice = $0.66 @ $1.50 for 13.5 oz box
4 cups marshmallows = $1.20 @ $1.50 for 16 oz bag
¼ cup butter = $0.25 @ $2.00 lb
Makes 15 - Total $2.11 / 15 = $0.14 each

Albertson’s 16 pack @ $5.00 ($.80 coupon) = $0.31 each

Difference $2.58 (includes one less to account for the extra in the 16 pack)

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
IMO, it would be more accurate to compare price per ounce than per serving, since the size of homemade bars may vary from the boughten ones in area and thickness.

I'm sure the homemade ones are much cheaper though, and certainly better-tasting.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Is the price on the cereal regular price?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the price on the cereal regular price?
That the sale price 2 @ $3 for the store brand box of crispy rice (13.5 oz). It happens every month or so around here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ounces and Sale vs Non sale price

Rice Crispy Treats - added in the oz and sale vs non sale.

Store brand cereal on sale.
6 cups crispy rice = $0.66 @ $1.50 for 13.5 oz box (5.93 oz)
4 cups marshmallows = $1.20 @ $1.50 for 16 oz bag (7.5 oz)
¼ cup butter = $0.25 @ $2.00 lb (1.99 oz)
Makes 15 - Total $2.11 / 15 = $0.14 each (total 14.97/15 = .998 oz each)

Albertson’s 16 pack @ $5.00 ($.80 coupon) = $0.31 each (.78 oz each)

Difference $2.58 (includes one less to account for the extra in the 16 pack)

Store brand today’s price.
6 cups crispy rice = $1.06 @ $2.39 for 13.5 oz box (5.93 oz)
4 cups marshmallows = $1.20 @ $1.50 for 16 oz bag (7.5 oz)
¼ cup butter = $0.25 @ $2.00 lb (1.99 oz)
Makes 15 - Total $2.51 / 15 = $0.17 each (total 14.97/15 = .998 oz each)

Albertson’s 16 pack @ $5.00 ($.80 coupon) = $0.31 each (.78 oz each)

Difference $2.14 (includes one less to account for the extra in the 16 pack)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I love hm rice crispy treats. They just taste better.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
768 Posts
Homemade ones are waaaaay better! I've never tried them with peanutbutter! I'll bet they are YUMMY!

Reactions: redeme

·
Registered
178 Posts
I read each post but could focus only on the PB. Never made them that way. Sounds awesome.

How much PB per batch are we talking about?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Must Stash, I made rice crispie treats, yesterday and I added 1/4 cup peanut butter. They must have tasted ok, there's none left today. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
No question, homemade ones are much better. I feel sure they add some ingredients into the storebought ones that aren't in the homemade as a preservative. Mmm, I want to make some now!!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We usually use regular margarine, not butter, although butter is way more tasty! I don't know about the trans-fat-free stuff.

I don't measure the peanut butter when I throw it in, but it's probably about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, somewhere in there. It can be melted in with all the other stuff at the same time.

I also sometimes use corn flakes because they tend to be cheaper than Rice Krispies.

And sometimes I make them with fruity marshmallows (no peanut butter in those though!)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Ohhhh Now I'm going to have to make rice crispy treats today! Yummy! Thanks for the price break down. I don't buy the store bought, premade ones though... I usually just make my own..they never last long anyways! LOL

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I usually buy the Rice Krispies and stockpile them at around Christmas time. They're the best price then, imo, because they also have the cutters inside the box to make the shapes.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That PB idea is great! Have you ever mixed in chocolate chips too? I'm thinking with the PB, this might be a big hit around here.

So now I know what I'm making tomorrow :)

Thanks for the new twist on an 'old standby'! LOL!

Theresa :)

·
19,119 Posts
Have never had store kind RKTreats - cannot imagine how they would measure up at all to homemade kind. I never tasted them (although I've made them in the preschool) until the lst time we made them - OMG they are sooooo good. I ws afraid that they would be way too sweet and they weren't. May add peanut butter next time - luckily none of our students are allergic!!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I've added chocolate chips. Chill them (we usually store ours in the freezer) and add them at the very last, before you put the mix in the pan. Otherwise, they melt too much. You can also just spread chocolate frosting on top after you have them in the pan.

Sprinkling them with colored sugar dresses them up a little too, or candy sprinkles. Kinda nice for a potluck if you want to get a little fancy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts