1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i could actually cry about this :'(

· Registered
4,262 Posts
ALL OF THIS JUST BECAUSE THE POLICE KILLED A KNOWN DRUG DEALER !!!!! Yes he was unarmed but it isn't as if they shot Mother Teresa. You would think the people would be thanking the police for getting such trash off the streets. I'd bet 90% of the people who joined in riot had no clue what it was about they wanted to join the fun. SO SAD :(

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Hi Bourne,

I am miles away from any of the riots thankfully, but I do know people in Liverpool, Birmingham and London who have been nearby. Tbh I thought it would all be over and done with on Saturday but it could go one for a while... It's just heartbreaking to hear the stories of the people who've lost their homes and businesses due to this thuggery.

AnnK is right, whatever has gone on after the initial protest and riot on Saturday is nothing to do with the shooting, people are organising the meet ups and just doing their own thing. There is no protest and no cause they are angry about.

· Registered
31,548 Posts
I am so sorry you and britbunny have to watch this going on in your own country. I hope I ends soon and stay safe!!

Reactions: britbunny

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People are just doing it now because they can, soo much looting and who's paying the price? innocent people losing homes and business becuase of these thugs :(

· Registered
811 Posts
Just like the L.A. Riots.. They used the cops getting off as an excuse. I can't see all the damage/stealing the rioters did was just cos' of the verdict. The one's I talked to just went to get stuff.

No matter the economy (one reason I heard the Brit riots happened) or actions of the police, there is no justified reason to damage innocent peoples property, or hurt innocent people..

I bet if they really look in to it, they will see it was mostly young people that did most all the damage.. It's just an excuse.

In Fullerton, California recently they had a homeless unarmed man killed by police, there was a protest, not a riot..

· Registered
1,392 Posts
My friend is in Manchester tonight where it has kicked off. Looks like there's been some damage and they're still moving round the city now. It's beeen going on since 5. Shops are being looted and some are on fire. My friend said some stores had planned for it and were ready to board up. Other people were just shutting up and hoping for the best. It seems pretty low level so far as it's all retail, no domestic areas, hope it stays that way.
I'm not easily shocked but this is getting beyond.

· Registered
6,048 Posts
Bournecrazy and britbunny-----I'm glad neither of you are very close to the violence.

Reactions: britbunny

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok they have Hit the city (10 miles from me) and there are reports that they could be in the town centre - Only 3 MILES! away :(

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it was mainly shops that got smashed in windows and the shopping centre is all glass so it didnt surprise me that they went there. Also reports of a shop on fire -Thats all in the city centre. Town didnt suffer that i know of couple of rumours going around but DH has managed to go work today (one rumour was that work got smashed windows - not true tho) The police have twitter feeds that i was following last night.

BIL had another night dealing with rioters in Birmingham :(

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Hi Bourne,

The police Twitter feeds have been really helpful, there were lots of rumours going around last night about things kicking off in Preston but it was just a "joke" thankfully.

My friend and his workmates have spent this morning cleaning up the mess left in their shop. It was mainly alcohol that was stolen and the shop wasn't as bad as it could have been. all the windows are smashed though. The council workers have done a great job of cleaning up the city centre. By 7.30 this morning most of the streets were clean and clear.

It looks like it was mainly kids in Manchester, Birmingham and London seems far worse from what I've seen. It's chucking it down with rain today so I wonder if that will keep the rioters away.

Best wished to your BIL. I feel sorry for the emergency services, the danger time spent dealing with this for no reason. It makes me sick.

· Registered
632 Posts
thinking of everyone. all of dh's family and friends live in england so we have been watching closely. i cannot understand or believe what is going on.

dh's parents are not far from manchester. i hope that the riots stop spreading and end.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
It's hard to understand because now there is no reason for it. There was an interview with some of the looters (children) last night and they said things like "why pass up to chance to get free stuff". I mean how do you reason with that?

The boys they interviewed said their parents couldn't get into the city centre so they couldn't get them to go home and when they did go home their parents would shout at them but they couldn't do anything else. They also said "we know the prisons are full so what are they going to do, give us an ASBO?" (ASBO being an anti-social behaviour order which usually involves a curfew and things like that).

For these two at least it wasn't about deprivation, they said they could afford the Converse boots they'd stolen but they could do it, everyone else was doing it so why shouldn't they.

And as for taking things from the backpack of the lad who was on the floor bleeding. I totally despair of these people, what is this country now?

· Registered
1,513 Posts
It's sooo sad. Stay safe and keep us posted on what's going on.

· Registered
927 Posts
People are just doing it now because they can, soo much looting and who's paying the price? innocent people losing homes and business becuase of these thugs :(
I am hoping that if they ever find out who these people are are fined and have to repay for all the damage and if they can't pay then they stay in jail and are forced to work and pay for their damage, maybe take all their possessions to.

I am SOO SORRY FOR EVERYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.