Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed the base prices of groceries rising????? At first I thought it was just me being tired and not having enough time to shop the sales but I don't think that's true. I've been paying more attention over the last month or so and evn in places like the Family Dollar the base prices seem to have sarted rising and the sales don't go as low as they use to or as frequently.

Examples:
RC - .89 base Kroger now 1.09
sale .69 (very frequent) haven't found one for under .89 in months
corned beef - Family Dollar 1.00 now 1.25
cream cheese - Meijer brand .99 now 1.09 sale use to be .69 or .79 now the sale price is .89
margerine - .4? or .5? depending on the store (blue bonnet, store brand, Fleishmanns ) and there use to be a three for a dollar sale pretty frequent... now no more .4?'s and the .5?'s are hard to find.....AND I can't remember the last three for a dollar sale I've seen.
Lentils - lb. bag was .69 now I can't find them under .89

I could make quite an extensive list but you get the idea. If it was just a few things I'd think oh well guess it was time for that to go up......but it seems that over the last couple of months almost everything has gone up. I'm wondering if anyone else seeing the same thing or if maybe this is just going on locally????

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think everything is going up. Gas prices are on the rise again too. I have decided to grow as much as I can this year. Especially tomatoes. It's going to be an interesting year financially speaking.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yes and its hitting my pocketbook already Will be growing alot more stuff to put up this year. Hope to raise enough potatoes for a year and freeze more stuff than usual
Herbs included.
If gas prices go up anymore there will be major problems for us. I will have to figure out how to shop only every other month...
Already starting on stuff to stockpile next winter..

·
Registered
22 Posts
what's up with 12 pack of coke I have some great coupons 3.00/2 12 packs I thought cheap coke the cheapest Ihave found it is 3.50 a 12 pack @ walmart even with the coupon its still 2.00 a 12 pack . Every thing is GOing up big time pork tenderloin on sale for 2.99 a # at a local store guess I will make a trip to kroger they have it for 1.99 a #.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have noticed it, too. The manager of our local grocery store said it's mainly because the shipping costs are skyrocketing. He also said it could be a seasonal thing as far as certain canned foods go--some things are higher in fall/winter than spring/summer. And with the damage done to the citrus crops, anything citrus is going up, too. I haven't seen frozen oj for less than $1.29, even at the discount stores!

If we are able to keep the house, I'll definitely be growing and freezing/canning more this year! Lol--it's been my goal to have a year's worth of home-canned goods in my pantry, though I usually max out at a few month's worth. I'm thinking this year will be a marathon!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've noticed it too. Many Sundays I have found myself throwing the sales fliers down in disgust because it doesn't look to me that there are any actual sales. Between the rising gas prices and food prices we are really feeling the pinch.

DH has yet to get his yearly COL, or given any idea when it will happen, and insurance has eaten his 'skills' raise he got last fall (separate from COL). We have less coming in right now than 18 months ago.

I have enlarged my garden and am already making plans of how to put away more food for the winter. My neighbor has agreed to show me and loan me her pressure canner, I just have to buy the jars. And I am going to look for dehydrators at Goodwill (I've seen them before, but just have not bought one).

Otherwise I am just trying to give more play in my grocery budget so when I do see something (especially meat) at a really good deal I can buy alot of it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I noticed last night, I only needed a few things...but was not happy with the prices. I needed some onions and the cheapest they had were $1.28 a lb
good grief..for onions??? a head of Icebery was .98 and I couldn't bring myself to pay .48 each for little alvacados (my hubby loves to have a bowl of gaucamole every weekend). Everything I bought was up :dis:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ive noticed this too! Its insane. Everything is going up, including gas. Lately, I'll go to buy somethign that I always get regular priced, and their sale prices are more than I usually pay. Ugh. :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
here you will pay .48 for one lemon. crazy. no way!!!

unfortunately being that I am now in my 8th month of pregnancy and just moved into a new house, and have two other kids I am not going to be able to do the garden thing. Not that I had much luck here in florida anyway, but I am always trying.

·
27,948 Posts
Prices going up, amount in package going down. Sneaky devils. Boo hiss. :down:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Same here. Seems that everything is going up.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
they are going up up up
We have all been sick so the house was pretty void of food,went to get groceries and it came to 391 ahhhhhhh.Hadnt shopped in over 3 weeks but stuff has gone up

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Prices going up, amount in package going down. Sneaky devils. Boo hiss. :down:
This was another thing I'd noticed on crackers and things like sugar and those 4lb bags at a higher cost than the 5lb ones were.

Gonna have to up my grocery budget as well as my gas budget.....just not sure from where!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
No, you are not alone - everything is going up. UGH!~

·
Registered
164 Posts
its not just in the States, here in Australia we have been experiencing the same thing for about 12 months now.

Related to the price of oil primarily.

Also the exchange rate has affected prices of pretty much everything, both against the greenback (not that Australia buys a lot of food from the US), and against asian currencies.

Its fantastic ladies to hear that you are all considering growing your own, or are already doing so - its the way of the future IMHO. Apart from the sheer cost of buying a tomato out of season from your supermarket, the environmental cost of trucking food vast distances creates more greenhouse gases than any other domestic activity, including heating. I always think of where the food came from when I go to the supermarket now, rather than just its price. Most of the time I try to boycott supermarkets altogether and buy from local farmers markets or barter food with neighbours and friends.

Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't expect to change my ways overnight, but every little bit helps, both my pocketbook and the environment.

G

·
Honestly, the only thing I had noticed going up around here is milk. Used to be $2.24, now it's $2.38 (for the 2% at BJ's). I haven't noticed prices on anything else going up, but I guess it depends on what you buy. I usually buy a lot of clearance and markdown stuff (and the pricing is so variable I really can't judge whether it's going up or down) or name brand items in bulk, and those have stayed the same. We're also exploring changing our grocery strategy - right now we primarily buy at BJ's and fill in with a few things at Stop & Shop, but we're thinking of adding in a farm stand for produce (and one of DH's co-workers sells produce from his garden in the summer, and will take standing weekly orders) and maybe getting some items from Trader Joe's. It's an organic/natural kind of place, but their prices are getting really competitive with the supermarket chains around here. I'm going to go in next week just to scope the place out.

Gas is going up too - it's gone up about $.15 since the last time I filled up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Eggs have gone up around here. I used to be able to get them for .99 a dozen , now it is $1.19. This morning when I got gas it was over $3 a gallon
:(

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Between groceries going up and gas prices you wonder where else we can cut. This is just getting crazy! I have been keeping turning the heat off while my daughter and I are gone from the house for about 10 hours. We turn it up to 62 when we get home. Talk about strain on the pocketbook!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
When my and I stopped at Super Walmart today we went over to the bakery area and she wanted some skinless chicken breasts. Needless to say we walked out of the food area with nothing. Usually we can find food that has been marked down.
We went over in the skin care area and she about choked when show saw her Oil of Olay had gone up about $1.19 more. She has very sensitive skin and its the only thing she uses. I reminded her of her gift card for her birthday.
I just don't know how some people will live with the increases in food, gas and etc. Hopefully I can get my garden started. My neighbor said she wants to start one also and we decided we were going to put it between our yards in the back. We both are frugal. lol. She loves vegtables and so do I.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts