Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serves 10

This classic pie from the ’30s the original recipe that appeared on the box then and still does today!

Pastry for two-crust 9-inch pie
36 Ritz Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1-3/4 cups crumbs)
1-3/4 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 Tbs. lemon juice
Grated peel of one lemon
2 Tbs. margarine or butter
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Roll out half the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in prepared crust; set aside. Heat water, sugar, and cream of tartar to a boil in saucepan over high heat; simmer for 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and peel; cool. Pour syrup over cracker crumbs. Dot with margarine or butter; sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll out remaining pastry; place over pie. Trim seal and flute edges. Slit top crust to allow steam to escape. Bake at 425¼F for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden. Cool completely.

—Nabisco Food Group

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I have heard it tastes just like apple pie, but I have never had it.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I've made it... This is a regular thing with dh's very frugal family... It tastes O.K. but apple pie isn't my thing anyway....

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I've always wondered if it really tastes like apple pie....

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i have never noticed the recipe on the box!! maybe i'll try it.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I also wondered if it really tastes like apple pie?...But I find that this makes lots of startchy ingredients for a dessert. I would prefer with real apples, but it can always be an alternative if we don't have apples, but we have crackers.:)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
It really does taste like apple pie! I have made it. I really like it.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I still haven't tried this but will soon...I'm adding the ingredients to my shopping list. Ritz crackers are outrageously priced right now, so I'm going to wait until they go on sale and/or I have a coupon :chef:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My mom made this all the time when we were kids. Even served it with vanilla ice cream sprinkled with cinnamon. LOL, she just told us it was apple pie, and we never questioned the fact that we never actually found any apples in it, LOL. It really does taste like apple pie!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used to make this when I was a kid. Yeah, I'm a geek, I've been in the kitchen since I was 5, with my first recipe book.

I like to tone down the lemon a bit, it can taste a bit lemony. Last time I made it, I goofed and forgot to put the cinnamon and sugar in!! LOL! As much as I cook, I forgot those important ingredients. But, since I used one of those horrible ready made pie crusts, the crust lifted off in one piece after baking and I put it on top of the crackers...Didn't turn out too well. lol

Also, I would like to say that putting in some apple pie spice with the cinnamon and sugar makes it taste more authentic.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I've still never tried this recipe, but am just so curious as to how it tastes!
How coarse do the crackers have to be?
I'll have to check on the Aldis brand of ritz crackers, maybe a bit more reasonable in price, and my mom does have an awesome pie crust recipe....

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't break up my crackers unless they are piled too high, I can usually arrange them to where they're pretty flat. I might have to break down some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts