Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for road trip ideas.
i'm looking to travel about 12 hrs (max) from ohio.

if you live w/in that range, what would you recommend about your area?

any/all ideas welcome! :)
even if it's to come visit to see the world's smallest teacup or something like that! :)

TIA!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't live in this area, but DH and I vacation there often: Gettysburg. There's so much to do and much of it is free through the National Park Service.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you want the east coast: you have - Six Flag NJ plus the the NJ shore.
I live near the Jersey shore and there are alot of things to do there. Camping, boardwalks with amuzement rides.

The Finger Lakes region in NY there is also a six flags in that area. This is a very nice area if you like the camping, tour wine vineyards, swimming in the lakes etc. I have also lived in this area too.

PA - Gettysburg, Philadelphia, Hershy Park and Pittsburg.

Lake Erie is really nice too. at the tip in PA.

·
Registered
787 Posts
ok. i am a road trip freak.
so here goes.
in ohio, close to us, there is waynesville, antique city. there is fairborn, halloween town. there is hocking county, hiking city. there is www.ravenwoodcastle.com there is also another castle in ohio that you can go and stay.
in cincy, there is a castle that you can go through. of course there are all the caves, like, old mans cave, serpent mound, and such. there is also ohio caverns to go to.
in kentucky, there is kentucky horse park. there is natural bridge, there is mamoth caves and the surround area there. you also have the jim beam still to visit. there is also the jack daniels still to visit. down around london, there is the original KFC. there is also renfro valley. it's agreat place to stay and see stars. esp. country and bluegrass.
i think that i have wrote enough. if you want more info, let me know.
road trip's are great!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
YEA! ROAD trips! I don't live anywhere near Ohio, but I pretty much love road trips wherever I get to take them. Hotels and campgrounds often have great info on local attractions - some of which may not be too well known. Also, you can always check with hiking clubs, who often know of neat places to go on days that are not suitable for hiking.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Love Road Trips!!!
We'll be taking one throught Ohio in July.
For us we'll be visiting the Heart of Amish Culture in Holmes County. Then up to Cedar Point for a day of family fun. 16 Roller coasters who could ask for more. Then up throught Michigan with stops at friends and family in Battlecreek, Rosebud and Ludington. Over the Macinhaw (sp) Bridge and around the UP. Lake in the Clouds is always a visit stop.
Home throught Wisconsin and drop like a stone to Fla.
90% of our trips are on those thinlines on the map. We avoid the interstate at all costs. Little towns are the place to stop even just for a walk around the town square. Many still have sqaures! If it looks intresting stop you'll never regret the 20 minutes or so. Roadside stands will offer items to take more and relive the trip later.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Cumberland Gap area of TN, is beautiful and an easy day drive if you want to leave the state of Ohio. I tried to link to the National park services website but I don't have enough posts yet to put in the link. :lol:
Google it though, it's a neat area. More along the lines of nature camping and hiking, but there is a Lincoln museum right down the highway from the very small town of Cumberland.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts