Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Roasted Garlic Hummus

Recipe Description
After much trial and error, I created this recipe that comes very close to the taste of store bought hummus.

This makes a quick and easy snack or appetizer with pita chips or raw veggies. It's also delicious in pita bread or a wrap with a variety of veggies for a healthy lunch.​
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups Chickpeas
1/2 Cup Chickpea Cooking Liquid
1 t Minced Roasted Garlic
1 t Lemon Juice
3/8 t Salt
3/8 t Citric Acid
1/4 t White Pepper
1/2 T Tahini
3 T Canola Oil​
Serves:
Directions:
Place all ingredients except for the canola oil in the bowl of a food processor outfitted with a blade. Turn the food processor on and with it running, slowly drizzle in the oil. Continue to run the food processor for 2-3 minutes or until the hummus is smooth and creamy.​

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing! I just became a vegetarian about 7-8 weeks ago and I'm looking for some recipes. I haven't really tried hummus and bought some at the store the other day. It was very good and I now want to try making it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thanks. I love hummus, and am always interesrted in new varieties.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're welcome! I don't bother to buy it anymore after hitting on this combination.

I think adding citric acid and lightening up on the tahini are the secrets to getting the taste of commercial hummus.

If you try it, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I just made hummus tonight!! I didn't see this recipe, so I used a different one, but it was almost identical. Used olive oil instead of canola oil; fresh ground black pepper instead of white pepper, and no citric acid. I also roasted my garlic first, then added about 4 cloves' worth. (I love garlic!!) I may be biased, but I liked mine BETTER than store-bought. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts