Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you laughing? Be kind.

There's a sale at my grocery for roasters at 79cents per pound. We don't care for roast chicken but love soup and chicken salad. What's the worst that could happen if I make chicken soup with a roaster?

Still laughing? Stop it :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Of course you can make soup and chicken salad from it..They make good broth..

No one is laughing..My brother in law on the other hand wanted to know where to get dill pickle seed..

Enjoy several meals..of your chicken..

·
27,948 Posts
They make wonderful soups! We rotisserie ours at home, eat some the meat for dinner then the next day we take the rest of the meat off the bone (use that in other dishes or the soup I might make) put the carcass in water to cover(some add celery carrots onions but I don't as they are usually in the soup I make) and boil for a couple hours. We then strain the broth into a container & refrigerate so it makes it easy to skim off the fat. You then follow any soup recipe that you'd like. We never throw away chicken carcass's or ham bones, so much flavor to be had with both.

Reactions: Ramona

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
They are the best chickens to make soup.

I usually cook the whole chicken, and use most of the meat for chicken dinners.
After the dinners, I'll pick off whatever scraps I can find for soups.
I'll take the carcass after that, and boil it with veggies to make chicken stock.
As I strain the carcass, meat and veggies out of the stock, I find even more pieces of meat.
I then take those pieces, plus the veggies, and add it to some of the fresh made stock for chicken veggie soup.
The stock then gets frozen or canned.

Frankly, I can't think of any reason, other than lack of time, to NOT get a roaster chicken.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
They are the best chickens to make soup.

I usually cook the whole chicken, and use most of the meat for chicken dinners.
After the dinners, I'll pick off whatever scraps I can find for soups.
I'll take the carcass after that, and boil it with veggies to make chicken stock.
As I strain the carcass, meat and veggies out of the stock, I find even more pieces of meat.
I then take those pieces, plus the veggies, and add it to some of the fresh made stock for chicken veggie soup.
The stock then gets frozen or canned.

Frankly, I can't think of any reason, other than lack of time, to NOT get a roaster chicken.

This is pretty much the way I do mine as well. The roasters are the best imo.

Reactions: Ramona and Mrs K
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.