Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you doing on Atkins now that you've started again? I have 4 more days till I'm done with induction. I can't wait to up my carb levels a bit.

Do you have any good Atkins recipes that you'd like to share? :)

Have you tried the mock danish recipe? It's really good--if you want me to post it, lmk :)

Michelle

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links Ellise--I'll check them out! :)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Elisse has been my source of variety in this diet. Thanks you Elisse!

I take my lunch every day so I take something I think is very good and fun too. Take a rib of celert and I usually quarter it so it is wasier to eat, then I spread cream cheese on it...the garden variety is better, then wrap it up in a piece of sliced thin turkey or ham.

I am also a big potato eater, I guess it is one of my comfort foods, I make fried rutabagas and onions, not much different from fried potatoes and onions, a little stronger, but if you are a potato girl, you will certainly appreciate them. Do you have the atkins cook book? Let me know because if not maybe we could chat and see what you like and I could copy and post some for you.

Good luck and way to go on the sugar, I know it is hard at first, but I did so well on this diet, with the exception that after being on induction for the two weeks I cried alot, even tho I was not really sad. Has this happened to you? I chalked it up to lack of carbs.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Thai Steak Salad

12 ounces boneless top round beef steak -- about 1"
-- thick/trimmed
8 cups loosely packed torn romaine lettuce or
-- mixed salad greens
1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
1 cup thinly sliced radishes
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

***LIME DRESSING***

1/2 cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 1 inch piece fresh ginger -- peeled/coarsely
-- chopped
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 large clov garlic -- peeled
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce

Heat broiler and broiler-pan rack or barbecue grill.
Broil or grill steak 4 to 6 inches from heat source, 5 to 7 minutes per side for rare, 7 to 9 minutes per side for medium and 9 to 11 minutes per side for well done.
Remove to cutting board; let stand about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile place lettuce, cucumber, radishes, scallions and cilantro in a large bowl, and put dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
Cut steak in thin slices across the grain; add to bowl. Pour dressing over salad.
Toss to mix and coat.

Serves 4. Per serving: 175 cal, 24 g pro, 9g car, 5 g fat, 54 mg chol, 710 mg sod. Exchanges: 1 3/4 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Now I'm really drooling Elisse, maybe this is what I will have for dinner. I find that it is better for me to save my carbs for dinner. I just take my lunch with as few carbs as possible for lunch and then eat and early dinner with the bulk of my carbs then...

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have the cookbook yet, I've been relying on the recipes I've found online. I would love to get some recipes that are dairy free (kind of tough I know). I can have butter but nothing else (I'm lactose intolerant).

I'd love to exchange tried and true recipes with you :)

I haven't seen any difference emotionally yet...fingers crossed! :)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Okie dokie, I have class in a few minutes, but I will come back on line tonight around 7 my time, if your up, maybe we can go back and forth, but I will post what I can find.:toothy: Have a great day Michelle.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Michelle or Robin~

I was just curious as to what you 2 ladies eat for breakfast while on this diet. I started it Monday and am getting tired of eggs. I have a friend that has lost 40 pounds on it. She ate eggs and bacon for breakfast. I don't really care for bacon though. I have to eat breakfast every morning or I don't feel like I can function the rest of the day. Lunch and dinner aren't too hard to figure out.

TIA!!!:D

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I am planning on starting this in July. My best friend from work will be coming back from her maternity leave and we are going to do it together. I am sure I will be coming here with lots of questions when we get started. :D

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Eggs here, But I try to dress them up. Sometimes I eat deviled eggs, scrambled with a little cheese, sometimes I add salsa. Do you like sausage, groundbeef, turkey or any others? Celery is low on the carb list so I use it as the crunch I miss from things like toast, fries or chips and it seems to work.

Michelle, do you eat the sugarless jello and whipped cream? Like none or almost no carbs. I love this when I am craving something sweet.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mrscornbread said:

Michelle, do you eat the sugarless jello and whipped cream? Like none or almost no carbs. I love this when I am craving something sweet.
Yep...just had some (minus the whipped cream) :)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robin, do you remember how much you lost during induction the last time you did Atkins?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I think it was 7 or 9 lbs!! I did very well and continued to lose, but not quite as fast.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
P.S. Id love the mock danish recipe...going to get my recipe book. stay online!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Here's another one for you ladies!

Lemon Oregano Chicken Scaloppine

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound chicken cutlets
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup flour, for dredging
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
While the oil is heating, season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper and dredge them in flour.
Sauté the chicken until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm.
Turn the heat to medium and add the white wine, stirring with a wooden spoon to release any caramelized bits that may be stuck to the pan.
Add the chicken broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, their juice and the oregano.
Add the chicken and any juices that have accumulated on the platter.
Simmer for 2 minutes more.
Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken cutlets to serving plates and spoon the sauce over the top.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 chicken cutlet with sauce
Amount Per Serving
Calories 253
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Sodium 258 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Protein 29 g
Percent Calories from Fat 30%
Percent Calories from Protein 45%
Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 15%

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
This one is really for WW but I figured you can reward yourselves once in a while:

Shortcake Drop Biscuits

2 points Makes 8 biscuits

1 cup self-rising flour
3 tablespoons diet margarine at room temperatre
7 tablespoons skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine above ingredients until batter is blended.
Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto a nonstick cookie sheet which has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake about 10 minutes at 450 degrees or until golden brown.
Great with peaches, strawberries, crushed berries or other fruit.

Calories: 78 Total Fat: 2 Fiber: <1
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories: 156, Protein: 3 g, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Fat: 7 g Cholesterol: 27 mg, Sodium: 257 mg

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Thank you Ellise for the recipes. The water hasn't been that hard for me. I thought drinking water all the time would kill me or that I wouldn't be able to, but I have done well with it. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts