Frugal Village Forums banner

Roll call:Mommies of Big kids :)(6-11)

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Katybird 
#1 ·
Who has kids ages 6-11(or late 5yr olds lol,this would be Lauren)What are their intrests,ages,accomplishments,give us your tips etc.

#2 ·
I do :)

I have an 11 yo son
He plays soccer and basketball. He plays the violin and loves yugioh and pokemon.
And Tetherball.

No tips here, still trying to learn myself

#4 ·
I have one daughter, age 6. I'll have to post my boys in the other category.;) Delaney is our angel, she has the most beautiful smile and is always making us smile!! She loves crafts, swimming, skating, animals of any kind but especially kitties, she loves to play outside. I find this such a fun age, so full of energy and everything is still so new to them. She is so curious about everything around her, I am learning things all over again. :smball:

#5 ·
I have a daughter ~ Sashka age 6 and a son ~ Charlie age 10.

Sashka LOVES to learn and plays school constantly, even when she's just come home from school! She wants to be a teacher because they get their own fat pens and blue-tac LOL.

She is very clever and very emotional. She will cry at nothing! She is also very kind and helpful. She is a bit of a people pleaser and sometimes doormat - which worries me quite alot. She is the total opposite to me and just like her father. She is also VERY clumsey!!! and can trip over herself (like babies do) LOL.

Charlie is naughty, naughty, naughty - and proud of it! He doesn't care what anybody thinks or what the consequences might be. He has to have a routine all the time and he has to know EVERYTHING in great detail, over and over and asks LOTS of questions until he drives you round the bend! And then he asks some more!

He has a great sense of humour and is very funny, he is also quite loving. But everything is on his terms. This one will argue with anybody and not back down if he thinks he is right. He loves small children and he looks out for people he cares about.

They are both Wonderful children!

#6 ·
I have 2 in this age group also. Michell is nine almost ten and she is blossoming early. The doc says to expect her period any day so she is all attitude and mood swings she has also recently developed quite a talent for lying lately. Other than that she acts liek she was born with a softball in her hand. She eats sleeps and breathes it and I couldn't be prouder! She has all A's and B's in school, but could have all A's if she didn't rush through it all to get outside and play ball. Brandi is my handful! Everything has to be routine and she is very sensitive. She has a very rough time in school and she will be repeating the first grade next year. I love getting to tell everyone about my babies. Thanks Amanda!

#7 ·
I have one of these too.:D Matthew is my shy, independant one. He is not very lovey dovey, and hates to give kisses. He wakes up every morning on his own and gets his own breakfast. I never know when he is up because he is so quite. He also goes to bed early on his own. I never have to fight with him to do it. He plays t-ball and did play soccer last year. He is waiting to be able to play football. He is the one that gets picked on the most by the eldest of my boys. He is a joy to have around when he is home. He spends a large amount of time playing next door at his friend's house. He also is the only "planned" child we had. The eldest and the youngest were both surprises. He is a very good student, and loves school. All his teachers have said that he is a joy to have in class. He takes pride in his work, and gets mad at himself when he doesn't do as well as he thinks that he should.

#8 ·
My dd Ryan will be 10 in July. She is full of attitude and independence one minute and wants all my love and attention the next.
She has to look wonderful or she will throw a fit. All clothes must pass her cool inspection and we often have arguements over this.
She is smart and can be very loving and gentle with others when she wants to. She usually has to be the boss in any group and others do tend to follow whatever she says. School has been tough this year and we will be changing schools next year, hoping for a better year.
She can't watch anything scary or she will have nightmares and will cry at the drop of a hat if there is something sad.
There is no doubt that she's an only child, spoiled and loved abundantly. (Should I add that she got spanked on the way home from school for being mouthy to me yesterday LOL).

pat

#10 ·
I have 1 in this group, Dakota. He is 8. He is my gifted child. He breezes through school without any problems. They have him working a grade level ahead of what he should be. He likes soccer and football. He can't wait until the fall so he can play pee wee football. He likes to get his way since he is the baby of the family. He plays his older brothers into feeling sorry for him...lol! He is very sentimental and likes to give hugs and kisses.

I love him from the bottom of myheart up to the heavens (as he always tells me). I hope all his dreams come true.

#11 ·
I have Patrick, who is 5. He is in kindergarden. He loves to draw and he is very social. He can also play alone for hours with a little toy. He is a sweet and gentle little boy...My baby.:D

I also have Daniel, who is 10, but thinks and wishes he was 15...:sigh: He loves to draw and is soooo good at it! It's just incredible! He loves skateboarding, loud music(like his older brothers) and attaches alot of importance on how he looks. He is very, very sensitive. With Daniel, we are learning alot on being a parent...he keeps us very busy....

#12 ·
I have Baylie in this group. She is 6. She loves to be outside! She also loves animals, and to watch movies. She is an only child but only until Nov. She is a very good kid and we hardly ever have to discipline her. She and I are best buds but I don't know how much longer that will last.

#13 ·
Raechel is 11 but will be 12 in a few months. She is a straight A student and takes her schoolwork very seriously. She is the kid at school the teachers wish they had a classroom full of because she is quiet and is a good student (I've been told this by a few teachers)

She plays the trumpet and also plays basketball. She is learning to deal with her asthma with sports. Sometimes it is a problem when running. She starts middle school in the fall, and would like to try her hand at field hockey.

Raechel is the second mommy to Courtney. She is very good at taking care of her little sister and is a huge help around the house as well as babysitting.

She is very loving and wraps her whole body around you to hug you. She's my snugglebug.:smball:

#14 ·
My youngest daughter Damaris, fits into this age group - she's 9. She's gone through some difficult times in the past year, after being abandoned by an adult that she loved and trusted very much, who didn't have the courage/integrity to even say good-bye to her. She has worked through those issues very courageously with the help of a counselor, and remains a straight A student with a wickedly good sense of humor, a love for animals, and a very loving and giving personality - guess you can tell I'm proud of her!

#16 ·
I have 2 in this group. A boy Riley who just turned 6 yesterday and a girl Madison who is 7. Riley plays t-ball and basketball. Madison cheers and plays soccer. They both are very busy and good kids. They enjoy riding their bikes and playing outside and watching movies. My 7 year old loves Lizzie Mcguire and we just went and seen her movie recently. They are a lot of fun. Amy

#17 ·
WOW.....my monsters ALL fit in this group:D I'll go youngest to oldest........
Brandon-5 almost 6 is in kindergarten and is Mr Popularity!LOL He plays baseball and was just nominated for All Stars:pblow: His temper has gotten worse recently but hes not a bad kid.....just testy.He likes to watch "baby shows"according to his brothers....Dora,Bob,Disney preschool shows etc. and prefers kids movies. I miss his "love bug"side but still steal my loves.
Christian-6 almost 7 is in 1st grade and has his best friend and most everyone else can kiss off.Hes a relatively quiet child until he gets mad then look out!!!!!!He likes action movies and playing Playstation.He plays baseball as well.He too just doesn't love as much anymore but if ya catch him alone away from his brothers he will.
Anthony-my Big Guy just turned 8 and is in 2nd grade.He is way too mature for his age.Hes my smarty pants at school.He has made honor roll every trimester since Kindergarten:eek: and just tested for reading at 4th grade level.He thinks hes too big for "kids shows and movies"and prefers Disney in the evenings and action movies.He also plays baseball. He is a love bug but hes so big its hard to "baby"him like he wants to be:(
So thats my crew I added pictures to the gallery of them:D

#19 ·
This is quit a thread ! We have so much in common !
I have 2 in this age group..... The last 2 .....:D :( , I have an 11 yo dd, the only girl of 5, she is very bright and a lefty,(so she has that odd ball right hemisphere thinking) so she is a total contradiction, she is the same as me and at the time very different. She has enough attitude for 2 girls. I have to stay very consistent with this one. I also have a 6 yo ds, he is very special, not just because he is our last and a surprise baby. He is very gifted. He reads well beyond his years and is a real thinker. He is the best behaved child I've EVER known. This one I need to be flexible with......... All of the kids are so different from one another....

#20 ·
I have so enjoyed reading the previous post. I have one son who is 11 but insist on telling anyone who ask that he is 12. He is the sweetest natured child. He likes to skateboard and play video games. I love being his mom and tell him that often to which he replies 'I love being your son'.

I wanted to run something by my fellow villagers and parents -

He has no interest in playing any organized sport. We have done one season of t-ball, soccer, roller hockey, and football. I allowed him to quit roller hockey because he hated it and it was such a battle to get him to go to a practice or a game. Football was just last year and by the time they were putting on pads he was hating it. I eventually pulled him out because he was struggling with school and practice was 3 days a week and we were not home untill 8:30. He now has absolutely no interest in any sport. I told him I wanted him to participate in a basketball camp this summer and he started pleading with me not to.

Should I force him to participate in something? Did I teach him it's ok to quit if you don't like it? His P.E. coach told me I should enroll him in track over the summer beacause "he needed the interaction with the other children'. I receieve notes from his teachers saying he doesn't always want to participate in class activities. When I ask him about it he tells me that whatever it was he didn't enjoy it and didn't want to participate. To be perfectly honest most of the time I can't disagree even though I try not to let him know it.

My fear is that if I don't make him participate in somthing he is missing out. I believe that competition is part of growing up and right now he gives up on most anything very easily. But I also do not want to be that parent that overwhelms the child with what I want him to do and not what he wants to do.

He is a very respectful child and has impeccable manners (had to have been the Barney tapes way back when) I think he has a good self esteem. I am torn between should I force a sport on him or wait and hope he finds something he likes in middle school.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and/or advice.:(

#21 ·
Robin,
My son was like that as well. We tried Cubscouts first, together (I wound up being a den leader and committee chair. :eek: ).
Now he is in BoyScouts and wants to continue until he is an eagle scout.
We also tried a variety of sports but I found, if they don't want to play, it isn't worth forcing them.
Other organized activities may help, how about a chess club or a trading card club (some of the comic stores have these)
HTH

#22 ·
Robin, I think if you put the question part of your post in a thread by itself, more people would see it. I think you would get some great feedback about it. :D

BTW, I can vouch for the sweetness of Robin's DS,he is a doll! (Of course I might be a bit predudice since he is one of my 2 favorite nephews :D) He is the best mannered child I have ever seen and is such a cutie. It must be in the genes~his Mom is beautiful too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.