Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got your attention didn't I :)

Actually it is more like I rolled up the hay. Here in VA the last few years have been a drought and we have had to buy hay for the goats that ended up being very poor quality. We do not have enought acreage to justify buying the equipment to bale our own hay. But this year there has been plenty of rain and the fields were getting waist high so my dear SO decided to mow them with the tractor and we would get up the hay the old fashioned way - Manual Labor.

Once it was mowed, we picked up the hay with pitchforks and loaded it on the truck and then unloaded it at the barn. This is hard work. You have to wear long pants and good shoes to protect you and you have to watch out for snakes, etc. Plus the dogs like to jump in the hay faster than I can pick it up. This morning I woke up and thought I would never make it to work. I am so tired and guess what...... I get to get up more hay as soon as I get home. How did those people survive way back when before machinery?????

I will have to admit that there is something refreshing about standing in a field of newly mown hay and listening to the frogs and birds calling to each other as you work. It seems to transport you to another time era and the cares of this world are forgotten about for a while. Your soul concern is getting up that hay for the animals to eat this winter. Kinda primitive.

Just thought I'd share my hay story. Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend.

pat (beware - woman with pitchfork)

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Thanks for sharing that Pat.......you are so right, it feels so good after hard work to see your accomplishments!! :smball: Way to go!!!:smball:

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
That's a lot of work Pat.... I hope you can get some well deserved rest soon..... Just think years ago that was only a small part of what needed to be done........

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Pat, you did get my attention. :toothy: Sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure it will be well worth it later in the season.

I always have to stop and wonder has well how the pioneers did it, from sunrise to sunset. They just never stopped!! No wonder they took Sundays off.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Good for you Pat! I know you are sore and tired! I do stop and wonder about the past. When we were taking our trip to florida I thought about how many days it would have taken before the roads were put in. Made my "hours and hours" in the car seem sight.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I bet your arms and back hurt more than anything. I remember back in the "good 'ole days" having to haul hay with my grandparents. That was hard work. I know what you mean about snakes as well. For some reason they always loved the barn.
Your labor will be worth it when the goats need some hay and just think of the money you saved doing it yourself.:D

·
27,948 Posts
You got my attention too.:hubba:
Glad you are finding the good in all this work.
Those goats had better appreciate all you are doing for them.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts