Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody want to join me?

I do a hard clean on the house several times a year and with the holidays approaching it's time to do another one. Up until a few years ago I could get it all done in two days, maybe three. In recent years it's been taking me longer, sometimes up to a week. Last year I went room by room and made a list of everything that needs to be done. I'm feeling especially out of sorts right now and feel like I'm going in ten different directions and doing nothing more than spinning my wheels with everything we have going on. I've pulled out my list and am going to post what I want to accomplish in each room(s). Hopefully by the end of the week I will have my list done, or at least the majority of it.

I also made myself a Daily Routine. This is especially helpful to me when my life turns upside down. It helps bring me back to a normal routine until I gain control again.

Daily Routine
Wake before 7am
Shower
Shave (M/W/F/S)
Wash Hair
Floss

Make Bed
Tidy up as needed

Garden Walkthrough

Put away dinner dishes
Breakfast
Vitamins
Wash Dishes/Wipe Counter
Make Ice as needed
Light Candles

Pool Pump 9am-12pm (M/W/F/S/S)

Talking Heads off at Noon – Music On (M-F)
Lunch
Clean Up

***Insert Chores***

Make Dinner
Clean up Kitchen
Garden Walkthough
Update Weather History for Garden
To Bed before 10:00pm

I think I'll start in the front of the house and start with the Pantry/Laundry Room:

Wipe Water Tank
Wipe Washer and Dryer
Wipe Door
Wipe Screen Door
Clean Recycle Can
Wash Drapes
Iron Drapes
Wipe Upper-Most Pantry Shelf
Clean Top Left Pantry
Clean Top Right Pantry
Clean Mid Left Pantry
Clean Mid Right Pantry
Clean Lower Left Pantry
Clean Lower Right Pantry
Clean Floor – Lower Left Pantry
Clean Floor – Lower Right Pantry
Shake Rug
Sweep
Scrub Floor
Polish All-Clad
*Skillets
*Back Row
*Middle Row
*Front Row

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
This will be a great preholiday spruce up.
Ill walk around today and start my lists!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to have you Gecko! :)

Had a productive day yesterday but apparently when I wiped down the hot water tank I accidentally blew out the pilot light. Didn't notice until this morning when I went to take my shower and was met with ice cold water. :eek: So, that threw me off this morning but I'm finally ready to start the day.

Remaining in the Pantry/Laundry Room:

Wipe Door
Wipe Screen Door
Iron Drapes
Clean Floor – Lower Left Pantry
Clean Floor – Lower Right Pantry
Shake Rug
Sweep
Scrub Floor
Polish All-Clad
*Skillets
*Back Row
*Middle Row
*Front Row

(Polishing the cookware is something I'll do once the rest of the house is done. If I can't get them all done at the same time at least I can do a few pieces at a time.)

Once I get done in the Pantry I'm moving on to the Kitchen:

Wipe Cabinets
Wipe Counters
Fill Pepper Grinders
Fill Salt Bowls
Wipe Outside Fridge
Wipe Inside Fridge and Organize
Wipe Freezer and Organize
Wipe Top of Fridge
Wipe Trash Can
Wipe Wall by Can
Oil Cutting Boards
Oil Rolling Pins
Wipe Microwave
Wipe Stove
Scrub Drip Pans and Grates
Wipe Stove Hood
Clean Oven
Dust Hutch
Wash Fake Plants
Oil Potato Bin
Wash Dog Bowls
Wash Dishes Above Cabinets
Wipe/Wash Wall Decorations
Wipe Inside Cabinets
Wipe Inside Drawers
Polish Knives (*I'll do this when I do the cookware)
Scrub Gel Mat
Shake Cloth Rug
Sweep
Mop
DH – Sharpen Knives
DH – Blinds
DH – Window
DH – Light Fixtures

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I keep a running list on the table at all times...lol..Don't always get it all done..I also keep appointments on this list by the day to day stuff..I usually have Sunday evenings clear for a few minutes to my self so I make the weeks list out then and leave room for add on on each day...Then as I get them done I make them off...I also keep a grocery list there so that when I open the last of the stockpile I can put it on the list and when I go for Bread and Milk I can check to see if any of it is on sale or in the mark down carts..lol...This is what works for me..

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another productive day yesterday. I can't take much off the kitchen list because I started on one side and am making my way around. I'd say I'm at least half way done but won't take it off my list until it's completed. Today is desk and laundry day. I've got to review the sales ads, get the menu for next week done and get all the laundry done so I probably won't finish the kitchen today but I should have some time to finish up a few items.

Shake Rug (I'll wash it when I have another rug to throw in with it)
Polish All-Clad
*Skillets
*Back Row
*Middle Row
*Front Row

(Polishing the cookware is something I'll do once the rest of the house is done. If I can't get them all done at the same time at least I can do a few pieces at a time.)

Remaining in the Kitchen:

Wipe Cabinets
Wipe Counters
Fill Pepper Grinders
Fill Salt Bowls
Wipe Outside Fridge
Wipe Inside Fridge and Organize
Wipe Freezer and Organize
Wipe Top of Fridge
Wipe Trash Can
Wipe Wall by Can
Oil Cutting Boards
Oil Rolling Pins
Clean Oven
Dust Hutch
Wash Fake Plants
Oil Potato Bin
Wash Dog Bowls
Wash Dishes Above Cabinets
Wipe/Wash Wall Decorations
Wipe Inside Cabinets
Wipe Inside Drawers
Scrub Gel Mat
Shake Cloth Rug
Sweep
Mop
DH – Sharpen Knives
DH – Blinds
DH – Window
DH – Light Fixtures

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
You are extremely motivation with this thread, MakeaDollarHollar! Wow! I won't be able to keep up with you, but I will jump into this challenge.

We're having my in-laws over on Saturday, and I don't feel that I'm ready. My MIL is a messy person, so when she comes I like to have a calm, organized and tidy house. I know that my FIL really likes it when he comes here...probably for the cleanliness of the house and all.

So.....I need to get going with my housecleaning and tidying. Yesterday I dusted the dining room. Then I cleaned the dining room table. The floor in that room still needs to swept and washed.

Okay, I'm going to go and make a list of things to get done room by room...then start getting my butt in gear.

Reactions: MakeADollarHollar

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Living room
Polish floors
Bring up radio
Remove wall mount
Remove cord management
Patch screw holes
Touch up paint
Tidy entry shelves

Master bedroom
Get rid of tv
Clean dresser top
Get new tv :)

Kids room
Beds?
Move desk
Cull stuffed animals
Clear out under bed
Purge from closet

Kitchen
Clean inside of fridge
Pantry organization

Dining room
Take down shade
Clean or replace

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I would love to at least get the laundry room, kitchen and livingroom done before Christmas so I am in. I will start with the laundry room since that is the smallest room.

Wipe down cabinets
Clean inside of cabinets
Wipe down tops of cabinets
Clean blinds
Wash curtain
Wipe down bench/shoe rack
Wipe down floor molding
Clean light fixtures
Wipe down dog crate

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ok today I moved my couch (it was horrific! I got a bucket of toys from under there) washed the living room walls, scrubbed the floor, turned my area rug (the cat uses it as a scratch pad, so now the nice end is out, scratched end under couch), washed the window.

Thanks for the motivation. Next is master bath.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Worked today so I didn't get much done.

-wiped down 2 cabinets, inside and out
-washed deco items of tops of cabinets
-wiped down bench/shoe rack

I have tomorrow off so I hope to finish the laundry room. MADH thanks for doing this thread and getting us motivated. I would have never been doing this otherwise and it really needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Way to go ladies! You guys are keeping me more motivated than you know because I *know* I have to come here and report so thanks to all of you! I am still plugging along. A few distractions and interruptions have delayed me but I'm making progress.

I hate to admit this because I'm betting every one but me knows about this but I found my new best cleaning friend. Mr. Clean scrubbie pad things. We always keep a few on hand but really the only thing we use them on are the grates and drip pans for the stove or the patio furniture. The inside of my fridge had some blue stains from years of putting the egg cartons in the same place and a few other little spots that I thought were scratched and have never been able to scrub clean. The scrubbie was sitting on the counter so I grabbed it and let me tell you...I have since scrubbed darn near everything with that little bugger. The fridge, the freezer, the screen door (which I thought was hopelessly stained from DH's grubby fingers), shelves, you name it. I LOVE that thing!! :D

Anyway, I've got a few things left in the kitchen, might get them done before I'm done for the day but might wait until tomorrow. Next will be the dining room...

Polish All-Clad
*Skillets
*Back Row
*Middle Row
*Front Row

Oil Potato Bin
Wash Dog Bowls
Scrub Gel Mat
Shake Cloth Rug
Sweep
Mop
DH – Sharpen Knives
DH – Blinds
DH – Window
DH – Light Fixtures
DH - Replace light bulb

Dining Room:
Dust
Wipe Deep Freeze
Wipe Dehydrator
Wipe Appliances
Windex Clock
Wipe Small Fan
Wipe Walls
Organize/Inventory Deep Freeze (did this last weekend)
Wash Cups and Saucers
Sweep
Mop
DH – Blinds
DH – Windows
DH – Light Fixtures
DH – Examine Spot Near A/C Vent

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I had wrote that I wanted to get this deep cleaning down before Christmas but what I meant was I wanted to get it done before I put up the Christmas decorations. So far I'm on track. After I did my usual cleaning this morning I got started on the deep clean. Today I did..........

Laundry Room -

washed window, screen and cleaned tracks
washed blind
wiped down remainder of cabinets inside and out
wiped down floor molding
wiped down wood of french pocket door and cleaned glass
washed dog crate
cleaned inside of washer lid
cleaned glass inside of picture frames
washed curtains in laundry room and kitchen (will iron tomorrow)

Kitchen

washed windows, screens and window tracks
cleaned blinds
cleaned out fridge
wiped down cabinets above fridge, inside and out
cleaned fake plant above cabinet
wiped down iron wall hanging

My goal is to finish up the kitchen tomorrow or Sunday at the latest. I really did not feel like doing this today but I knew I had to be accountable on this thread so it got my butt in gear. I can't believe that you (MADH) do this a few times a year! WTG!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I had a migraine yesterday so I only got the curtains ironed and rehung. In the process I broke one of the glass ends off of a curtain rod. :( It's not too noticable, actually the only one who will notice it is probably me.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had another huge batch of tomatoes come in so DH has taken over the kitchen/dining room this weekend canning gargantuan amounts of salsa. He'll be done later today so I'll be back at it tomorrow. I'm hoping to get the dining room and living room done by Tuesday then I can finish up during the long weekend and start decorating.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Homemade salsa...................sounds yummy!

I did some today, not as much as I had hoped but am plugging along.

Wiped all kitchen cabinets, inside and out
Washed out wastebasket
Cleaned 3 kitchen light fixtures
Wiped out stove drawer
Scrubbed microwave vents

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Way to go Rabbit!

Yeah, DH is the Salsa-Canner (I do everything else). He's always tweaking his recipe. He can't quite get it hot enough to suit his taste buds. I can handle some pretty good heat but he likes "melt your face off heat" so I steer clear and let him do his thing especially since he started growing Ghost Chili's this year (aka the hottest pepper in the world!) :fuming:

Got quite a bit done today but not as much as I would have hoped.

Polish All-Clad
*Skillets
*Back Row
*Middle Row
*Front Row

Scrub Gel Mat
Shake Cloth Rug
Sweep
Mop
DH – Sharpen Knives
DH – Blinds
DH – Window
DH – Light Fixtures
DH - Replace light bulb

Remaining in the Dining Room:

Sweep
Mop
DH – Blinds
DH – Windows
DH – Light Fixtures
DH – Examine Spot Near A/C Vent

I need to shop for Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow but hope to get started on at least one wall of the Living Room tomorrow when I get home:

Dust
Windex Pictures
Febreeze Cushions
Rotate Cushions
Vacuum Cushions
Oil Cabinet
Wash Fake Plants (did this the other day)
Clean Out Corner
Wipe CD’s
Wipe Door
Wipe Screen Door
Wipe A/C Intake
Wash Stuff on Antique Table
Wash Stuff on Shelves
Wash Stuff on Walls
Wipe Walls
Shake Rugs
Sweep
Mop
DH - Blow out Tower Fan with compressor
DH – Blinds
DH – Windows
DH – Picture Above Entertainment Center
DH – Ceiling Fan
DH – Light Fixtures
DH – Steam Clean Furniture

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Living room
Polish floors
Bring up radio
Remove wall mount
Remove cord management
Patch screw holes
Touch up paint
Tidy entry shelves

Master bedroom
[-]Get rid of tv
Clean dresser top[/-]
Get new tv :)

Kids room
Beds?
Move desk
Cull stuffed animals
Clear out under bed- working on this
Purge from closet

Kitchen
Clean inside of fridge
Pantry organization

Dining room
Take down shade
Clean or replace

Porch
Move bikes down to basement

·
Registered
62 Posts
Even though I'm a little behind the challenge, I'd love to join in. Below is a list of everything I'd like to do, from my list for today and tomorrow, cleaning each room, and some miscellaneous tasks I'd like to complete. I'd love to get these done in the next two weeks so that I can focus on holiday decorating/shopping/etc., but only time will tell. I'm starting today, in an hour, with throwing dinner (Pork Tenderloin with Applesauce) into the crockpot for 4 hours, then working on laundry (at least 6 loads to do) and cleaning the guest bathroom and living room. Tomorrow, I work from 5 am to 10 am morning stock crew for a retail store, then some errands and coming home to pack and pick up the cat as we (cat and DH and I) are traveling to my in-laws for a few days. They only live an hour away on an island, but it will take a while to pack everything we need.

Today (12/20/12): put dinner in crockpot; start laundry and keep going until bedtime (8:30 pm PST); pay bills; clean litter box; put away misc. items in guest bathroom; clean guest bathroom floor; work on living room list below:

Living Room: clean couch area; clean in front of couch; clean coffee table; clean in front of coffee table floor; clean brown chair; find/return/pay fine for library books; swiffer/sweep entry way/bathroom/living room; lay out new rug/carpet;

Kitchen: clean kitchen floor; clean kitchen left side; clean kitchen right side; clean fridge; clean stove;

Dining Room: clean cat eating area; clean table; clean buffet; organize B’s bookshelf; organize my bookshelf; organize boxes near my bookshelf;

Misc. Rooms: clean master bathroom; sweep/mop all floors; take down fall decorations (to prep for Christmas decorations this weekend); clean hall closets (coat closet and laundry closet - we are in a small apartment);

Master Bedroom: clean in front of bed; clean underneath bed; clean near window; clean B’s side; clean out totes; clean closet; declutter jewelry box; set up cabinet;

Guest Bedroom: clean in front of bed; make top of bed; clean floor; clean desktop; clean cabinet; clean in front of cabinet; clean closet;

Misc. Chores: vacuum all bedrooms; clean out my purse; clean out both cars; clean and organize storage area with DH; go through all paperwork; shred paperwork; buy file box for personal files; backup my computer; wash all couch throw blankets; wash guest room sheets; wash coats; organize books/DVDs/CDs/comp games; clean all blinds/lights/ceiling fans; organize Legos into one area;

·
Registered
62 Posts
Today (12/20/12): put dinner in crockpot; start laundry and keep going until bedtime (8:30 pm PST); pay bills; clean litter box; put away misc. items in guest bathroom; clean guest bathroom floor; work on living room list (see post #19 for detailed list, I'm only posting what I want to do today and what I have completed)
finished putting dinner in the crockpot (hope it turns out well, first time), will start laundry and the rest of the chores in a little bit.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts